Author Topic: newbie looking for advice re sizing and fit  (Read 1297 times)

karoklim

newbie looking for advice re sizing and fit
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:54 pm »
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and new-ish to skating. Apologies for the long intro but I feel like the context is important :)

I skated a little bit for about 2 months as a child, had a massive break and now decided to get back to it at 26 years old. Not thinking much about it I purchased some recreational skates (Rio) and went to the ice rink four times. I'm not doing any lessons at the moment so not exactly sure what level this is but I can somewhat confidently do front and back crossovers and last week I sort of managed outside 3 turns from standstill. I would like to progress further and see where it takes me so I will be doing private lessons twice per month (I can't do group due to my partner's shift work affecting my access to the car  :( )
My recreational skates get really uncomfortable after approximately 1 hour of skating to the point where I am unable to do crossovers that I was doing 40 minutes ago so I decided to purchase a more appropriate boot. Now, I don't want to spend a lot of money as I still don't know if I'll stick to it so I bought a pair of lightly used Risport RF4- the plan is to skate in them until I quit soon or decide to continue progressing and then I'll make a trip to a pro shop (I'm in Birmingham and I don't think there are any nearby...).

The RF4 came today and they seem to fit well length-wise: I've measured my feet and the right one (which is longer) is 270mm- the boots are size 270. Left boot seems to fit well but in the right boot there is some pressure on my pinky and fourth toe. The heels fit perfectly as I have quite narrow but long feet, however, my toes are not naturally squished together. I can still wiggle my toes just a little bit but I wouldn't be able to put a finger behind my heel and I can definitely feel both the front and the back of the boot. I took out the insole and stepped on it- my feet just fit within the insole, noting is sticking out but also there's no extra space whatsoever.

On top of being new to skating, I'm also a massive baby when it comes to shoes in general and I tend to avoid any tight shoes or high heels opting for sneakers as often as I possibly can get away with- I'm just not sure how tight the boots should fit... 

Do you think that the boots are too short? Or do you think that I could try stretching the right boot? Is it even possible to stretch the RF4s? And could I do it home? If so do you have any tips on doing that?

Any help would be massively appreciated!! 

transmissionoftheflame

Re: newbie looking for advice re sizing and fit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
I would persevere with them for a while and see what happens.  Boots normally "give" a bit after a while.  If you start to get a lot of pain or blisters or soreness or rough skin then consider taking the boots to a skate shop to have them stretched.  If you're used to trainers then skates will feel a bit tight.  Loosen the laces right up all the way to the toes and open them right out before you put them on, then tighten only moderately in the toe area, more tightness needed towards the instep to stop them slipping.

karoklim

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 11:54:31 am »
Thank you for this :) any chance I could take them to a high street cobbler for stretching? I don't think there are any skate shops that would do that in my area...

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »
I once asked a cobbler and they claimed my boots would break their machine, but others on the forum may have had more luck.

Carrie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:05:10 pm »

You don’t need to be able to put a finger behind your heel as such. The finger should fit behind the top of the boot after lacing. Flex your ankle forward so you can feel the tongue and adjust the lacing to leave a gap.  You will then be able to bend your ankles.

A cobbler might be able to stretch your boots but you can buy shoe stretchers and there are videos on YouTube on how to do it. A friend has had a boot punched out for a bunion!

If you carry on skating and the boots are comfortable you wouldn’t need to change them straight away.  A friend and I have had our RF4s for over 10 years!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:41:10 pm »
They don't sound like they're a bad fit at all, although you may well benefit from using a shoe stretcher on the right boot.  Just put the plastic "bumps" in the relevant part of the stretcher, insert into the boot as far as you can push it and turn the screw to stretch.  You could try using a hairdryer to  warm the boot inside before stretching, but I'd try it from room temperature first.  I use a shoe stretcher in my left boot as there's a place that hurts my foot and there's nowhere anywhere near to get it punched out. 

Good luck!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

karoklim

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 10:55:12 am »
Thank you all for the advice!! Really appreciate it, I will get one of these stretching tools from amazon and give it a go  O0

Carrie, I'm glad to hear about the sturdiness of RF4s, perhaps the £30 including postage that I got them for doesn't do them justice  ;D

Carrie

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 05:19:27 pm »
Karoklim

Just thought I should let you know that the possible reason my RF4s have lasted so long is that I have never done any jumps other than try a bunny hop briefly!  I have always done ice dance and edges and do not skate very fast.  I am old enough to be your grandmother and keep thinking I will retire from skating soon so it’s not worth getting new boots!  However, I am now on my third set of Ultima Mark IV blades. 

The boots I had before the RF4, (Wifa) were so stiff and uncomfortable, I had to get rid of them in less than a year.  The RF4 were perfect for me, not as stiff and the back of the boot was lower so didn’t press on my Achilles tendon.

Good luck with skating and hope you carry on.  It’s a mind and body workout, fascinating to learn!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy