Author Topic: Who do you skate for?  (Read 839 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Who do you skate for?
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:25:41 am »
I was watching Oleg Althukov's very help instructional video on forward inside counters, and came across this message from him at the end:

"My advice is to treat skating as its own reward.  Skate because you want to skate.  Because skating to please someone else will sooner or later end in frustration and disappointment.  I would still come to train even if no one cared.  Even if I was the last skater on earth.  Because I have chosen skating as my purpose in life."

https://youtu.be/f1jQKX33PWo?t=247

He is Oleg of Kseniya and Oleg fame.  He's not skating with her any more.  He has his own series of instructional video clips.  Interestingly in this one he suggests developing a feel for the move rather than focusing too much on a long checklist of things to do, so that you are better able to correct your own mistakes.  Obviously you need some guidance when starting a move you don't know how to do, but personally I don't cope well with too much input so this more minimalist approach suits me better.

WednesdayMarch

Re: Who do you skate for?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:45:02 pm »
That is a wonderful piece of advice from Oleg.  I'm going to ponder it further.  It might prove helpful for my current situation.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Who do you skate for?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 02:57:21 pm »
Oleg is very lucky to feel like that about his skating.  I wouldn't go so far as saying it's my purpose in life, but I know I do it for me and me alone.  I like skating with other people too, but I'm off to skate outdoors now, alone.  Make the most of the nice weather before Storm Ciara arrives tomorrow!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy