Author Topic: Milton Keynes ice rink advice  (Read 1177 times)

Dougal

Milton Keynes ice rink advice
« on: February 03, 2020, 09:53:39 am »
Hi everyone, does anyone skate at Milton Keynes? I’m hoping someone would be able to help/advise me if you don’t mind!

I’ve recently moved and my local ice rink is now Milton Keynes.
I don’t know much about Milton Keynes rink, the coaches/ice rules ect.
Can anyone recommend a good coach? Any you’ve have a bad experience with? Ive passed NISA level 2 so am
Working on level 3. Do they allow lessons on public or is it patch only and are you allowed to practise on public ice?
Also if you have a lesson on the start of patch does that mean you have to pay two lots of ice fees? One payable to the rink when you arrive and one to your coach for patch? Surely they would allow time to boot up and warm up without charging you a fortune?

Many thanks! :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:22:16 pm by Dougal »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Milton Keynes ice rink advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:15:56 pm »
Hopefully others can answer your other questions but I have skated on a few public sessions and not been told off for jumping or spinning, albeit most of those sessions were fairly quiet.  I got the impression that the stewards exercised discretion rather than applying blanket rule, which is a refreshing change.

It has always seemed like a reasonably well run rink to me.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 10:01:40 am »
As transmissionoftheflame mentioned stewards are generally make a risk based decision about what's allowed on public.
Lessons on public or patch.
There's https://planet-ice.co.uk/locations/milton-keynes/ (public skating etc)
And https://internationalschoolofskating.com/locations/milton-keynes/ for patch/training/practise time.
So if you have a lesson on public you would pay Planet Ice for the public session and the coach for the lesson.
If you have a lesson on patch you would pay the coach for the lesson and the ice time (or have a monthly patch card).
I'm guessing that you're a freestyle skater?
Vadim Musin is a good freestyle coach, though I would recommend watching/speaking with the coaches since different personalities/knowledge/drive might work better than others.
I hope you have a good time skating there (watch out for politics) let us know how you get on.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 11:44:53 am »
I know you didn't ask but just to add, I'd recommend a guy called Chris Roberts (if he's still around) for local blade sharpenings.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy