Author Topic: NISA Coach L1  (Read 4957 times)

AnabelleMom

Re: NISA Coach L1
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 03:45:15 pm »
My friend's daughter is trained by a coach from L1, she takes money for it. I saw that lady in my club. The level of her skating it not good. I saw her performance at the gala as well.  My daughter is preparing for L2 and 3 FM. The ladies level does not even reach L1 FM.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 05:48:58 pm »
We then did the same thing but with a double three, ideally tracking the same size circle we did on the single, held, edge.  Again alternating left and right, outside and inside, forward and backward.  Very few were able to do that at all well, and there were some fairly advanced kids in the group.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 07:36:19 pm »
My friend's daughter is trained by a coach from L1, she takes money for it. I saw that lady in my club. The level of her skating it not good. I saw her performance at the gala as well.  My daughter is preparing for L2 and 3 FM. The ladies level does not even reach L1 FM.

If this is the case, I think that needs reporting - she shouldn't be teaching alone with a level 1 qualification and she definitely shouldn't be taking payment. My friend who has done his level 1 qualification has had to turn down requests from parents to teach private lessons.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

black

• Skate free
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 10:40:14 am »
Technically this is an interesting one.

Officially the National Governing Body of the sport, currently 'British Ice Skating' has a coaching program and level exams/certification. These qualified coaches can be checked by calling the office or looking here -> http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/work-force-coaching/coaching/british-ice-skating-licensed-coaches-levels-1-5/

When somebody wants to do a BIS level I'm not sure if a coach must be specified on the entry form, or it could be a different one to the one doing the actual teaching.

But technically anybody could be a coach. In the UK they would need to be checked for working with children/vulnerable adults, and it would be a good idea to have some First aid certification and professional indemnity insurance; the other main issue is clearing the coaching with the facilities where the coaching is taking place.

This probably happens more often than you'd think too - professional skaters might not have up-to-date valid BIS coaching credentials, visiting overseas coaches for skate camps, chorographers etc.

Take the Skate Excellence skating programme; I'd not sure what are the requirements are to qualify as a coach for this?

AnabelleMom - it probably depends on what service was advertised that you entered into contract with?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 10:59:05 am »
It is indeed interesting and you make good points.  I think if you're teaching a specific syllabus e.g. BIS Learn to Skate or Skate Excellence, you're using something that the body in question has paid to develop and administer, you're obliged to conform to whatever rules they have about qualifications you need to have in order to teach various levels.  However you could argue that the syllabus consists of skating elements that have existed since skating was invented, and are not copyright, and anyone can teach them if they feel like it, and it's up to the student to satisfy themselves that the teacher is competent - as long as the coach isn't claiming to be something they are not.

My recollection of BIS Level 1+ tests is that they want the application signed by a BIS registered coach - I always imagined this was a kind of quality control to prevent people taking tests before they were ready and wasting people's time.  Again you could argue that as you are paying for the test it's up to you as a student whether you want to take it or not - but given ice time for tests is limited and so are qualified judges, I don't think it's unreasonable to have that as a requirement.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 12:38:14 pm »
My recollection of BIS Level 1+ tests is that they want the application signed by a BIS registered coach

Spot-on; just checked. "Forms submitted without the coach's name, signature and membership number will be returned"

But as mentioned, (and I saw this happen) people were sometimes instructed to put a different coaches details on the form.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 12:48:31 pm »

Spot-on; just checked. "Forms submitted without the coach's name, signature and membership number will be returned"

But as mentioned, (and I saw this happen) people were sometimes instructed to put a different coaches details on the form.

I've seen this happen too and was told it was because of the reputation of certain coaches with examiners would make it more or less likely to get a test pass.  I've no idea whether this is true or not, though it doesn't sound completely implausible.  Apologies to any examiners on the forum who feel I am impugning their integrity - not my intention.

Glad neither me nor my daughters are testing any more!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:44 pm »

I've seen this happen too and was told it was because of the reputation of certain coaches with examiners would make it more or less likely to get a test pass.  I've no idea whether this is true or not, though it doesn't sound completely implausible.  Apologies to any examiners on the forum who feel I am impugning their integrity - not my intention.

I'm quite horrified by that possibility, although can - sadly - quite believe it happens.  It really shouldn't but...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Crackers

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 10:54:48 pm »

This all makes really interesting reading.
We entered the skating fold just under 3 years ago and my 2 have now taken (and passed) 6 tests. Thankfully we have not come across any mention or evidence of this at our rink.
I am told that the BIS / NISA judges are not paid for adjudicating a test so we are thankful that they give up their time.

It is stressful waiting for that handshake though.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 07:37:24 am »
Yes as far as I know the judges don't get paid, I think just expenses.  It's a labour of love and I'm glad they do it.  I'm not a great fan of BIS but it's probably harder than it looks to run a sports association and please everyone, and people moan about how things like tennis and football are run which are much better funded.

As far as I know international competition judges don'r get paid either, just expenses.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy