Author Topic: Figure Skates - please help me choose some awesome ones!  (Read 3897 times)

RD2874

Figure Skates - please help me choose some awesome ones!
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:39:59 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Firstly - apologies as I know this question gets asked a lot but I'm still struggling for a definitive answer for my needs.

I have just started my Level 1-3 skating lessons, I did roller derby for 4 years so it's coming to me pretty quickly. I'm practising 4 times a week.  :D

I want to get out the big chunky plastic rentals and into something a. more comfortable b. less full of athletes foot and c. to help me progress!

I'm not going to say money is no object here, but if its something that'll see me through a couple of years then I'll invest. I'm looking around £90-140.

These are the ones I was thinking of from reading previous chat/reviews.

What do you guys recommend / what did you start with that worked well?

> Graf 500 (all reviews are fab but it feels like they arent taken seriously? They arent on here on kinziescloset comparison guide...?
> Jackson Mystique
> Jackson Artiste (are these just better than Mystique?)
> Edea Motivo

- I dont seem to find a lot about Risport... but open to these too!

I'm 5"4, 60kg with quite slender feet if that helps!

BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL XXXX
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:38:54 pm by RD2874 »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Figure Skates - please help me choose some awesome ones!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:04:24 am »
I think Risport are quite good for slimmer feet, but I really think it's best you try on as many of the models in your chosen price bracket as you can to see which one feels best and understand the right size for you. 

I don't know the models you quote but I am sure that as long as they fit correctly whatever you buy in this price range will be better than hire skates and will be suitable for the current stage of your skating journey.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:19:08 am by transmissionoftheflame »

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:39:26 pm »
Graf 500 are an excellent beginner skate, but if you're progressing quickly, you may well need something more advanced.  I'd be looking at Risport for narrow feet, although I'm not familiar with any of the current models.  I'm not a fan of Edea per se, but the Overture is a popular beginner/improver boot and they do come in different width fittings.  Not a clue about Jacksons...

There are some excellent skate shops around, depending upon where you're based.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

spinZZ

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 01:31:19 pm »
OP:  With respect to Jacksons, assuming you're an adult (or you're at least old enough that your feet are no longer growing), I would recommend looking at the Freestyle, not a lower model.  It's supplied in a kit with a pre-mounted blade.  The blade isn't the greatest, but will be fine at your level.  The current generation Freestyle comes stock in split width (ball width one size larger than heel width).  This fits well for many skaters that need a roomy toe, but have a narrow heel.  Whether it's suited for you is something you should discuss with a competent fitter.

RD2874

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:32:17 am »
Thank you so much everyone for your responses, it’s so helpful.

I tried on some Edeas and they were a bit too big on the ankles so didn’t feel v supportive. Tried on some Jackson’s and felt really confident in those so think I’ve got my winning brand.

I’ve read in a few posts that I may as well go with Artistes, Elle’s or Freestyles to get used to the bigger blade from the outset - does anyone else agree?

I’ve just got to decide on price as the above are all £20 more than one another. I do prefer the look of the Elles/Freestyle as they have a nicer heel - will they be soft / stiff enough for a beginner?

Many thanks x

Florence

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 03:41:42 pm »
I always fancied the Idea of Jackson elles. I think they sound ok for a begginer!

I used to have Graf 500 they last until end Star I believe. I loved them but have wide feet so size 4 were too snug and after a month or so size 5 were too loose, they don't do half sizes. Shame as i did like them for the first month or two, very comfy!

spinZZ

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 02:29:44 am »
I’ve read in a few posts that I may as well go with Artistes, Elle’s or Freestyles to get used to the bigger blade from the outset - does anyone else agree?

I’ve just got to decide on price as the above are all £20 more than one another. I do prefer the look of the Elles/Freestyle as they have a nicer heel - will they be soft / stiff enough for a beginner?
(1) As you move between different manufacturers (and even between different models of boots by the same manufacturer), the mating blade lengths will sometimes vary.  This is something you can adjust to.  I wouldn't choose a particular boot primarily based on the length of blade it takes.

(2) According to the Jackson website, the lowest model of Jackson that is fully heat-moldable is the Elle.  So don't bother with the Artiste or lower.  Also according to the Jackson website, the Freestyle is formed on the Elite last; no mention of the Elite last for the Elle, so I assume it isn't (but you should confirm directly with Jackson).  If the Freestyle fits you properly, I'd recommend that you go with that.  The Freestyle is the highest Jackson model kit (boot plus pre-mounted blade).  As you advance in skating, your next pair will likely be separate boots and blades.  If you're happy with Jackson, the advanced separate boots are all formed on the Elite last; so that will be an easier transition.

(3) I asked you before whether you're an adult skater.  I'm in the US, where Jacksons are common.  I go to a pro shop with a really good fitter.  For beginning adult skaters who know they are serious about skating (that is, have skated on rentals, used skates, or skates purchased from department stores or sporting goods stores, and know they want to advance and know they need better gear), his first preference is the Freestyle (assuming they fit properly).  It's a different story for children whose feet are still growing:  they'll probably outgrow a pair before wearing it out, and so can start with a lower model.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:59:38 pm by spinZZ »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy