Author Topic: Britannia Cup 2020  (Read 1033 times)

Jo

Britannia Cup 2020
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:39:24 am »
Is anyone else watching the Britannia Cup skating competition? I never knew that synchronised skating was a thing! I love the teams are age, gender and ability diverse, and there's an inclusive team as well. Mind you, then you see the junior and international teams and they are just wow. I would be really interested in doing synchro skating but there's no teams at all near me  :(

It's on BBC Sport and iPlayer if you're interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-sports/50999892?fbclid=IwAR0iU4GzH6i4ptwqNr49HWoBONThp6ubkMNSM0gxZ8NJsg1lIlGMGlb-EL8

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Britannia Cup 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:28:41 am »
Synchronised skating (previously called "precision") has been a thing for over 20 years and is developing all the time.  It's quite stunning to watch the top teams but, as you rightly say, it's very inclusive and diverse, too.  Personally, I absolutely LOATHED doing it but I'm delighted to see that it's come a long way from the terrible constant toe pick scratching of its early days.  Some of the ladies at the Coach & Skate session I go to on a Wednesday really like having a go.  I usually help the lower level ladies, leaving the more ambitious ones to the session coach.  They seem to really enjoy it, as it's taking the skills they are learning and putting them to use in a different format.

I keep meaning to watch the coverage of the Britannia but getting distracted by decorating...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Jo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:47:50 am »
I think part of the reason I'm so fascinated by it is that some of the standards seem more achievable for me, and therefore something I can aspire to. I'd love to be able to compete one day, but I only started 12 months ago and I'm still learning the basics. Also at my age, much as I absolutely love watching figure skating at the worlds, winter olympics and the youth winter olympics that are on at the mo, that's a standard I'll never get to. The British Figure Skating championships that were on at the end of last November was also a real eye opener for me, because I never watched people competing at basic novice level before. And I found that quite aspirational too.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 11:59:09 am »
Adult competitions are much more widespread than they used to be and you can definitely aspire to competing!  Even if Synchro doesn't turn out to be your thing.  So many different categories now, too.  Freeskating, pairs(!), dance, solo dance, SSJ, artistic, interpretive, theatre on ice...  The world is your icy oyster.  :D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Carrie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 01:52:57 pm »
I watched this yesterday and found it enjoyable to especially the adults as it seems more realistic.  I don’t enjoy the elite singles so much now.  It’s all jumps that you miss if you blink!

Some years ago when I hadn’t been skating that long, I did synchro but the only ice time was in the summer, once a month and at 10.45 - 11.45 pm!  Not a popular time so it didn’t keep going.

Florence

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:45:29 pm »
I went to nottingham to watch this in 2018, It was fab  :smitten:  Great Atmosphere!
I was working this weekend so couldnt go but last time i watched live coverage I spent a fair amount of time looking at an epty Ice rink so put me off.
Hopefully I can go watch next year!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:46 pm »
I went to watch the synchro championships live last year - couldn't this year due to just competing recently and money being tight, but I enjoyed it, so have enjoyed the coverage. Lovely to see Team Spice included as a competitive team this year. I'd love to do synchro, but think it's possibly a step too far with my vision issues :( Also, our rink is small and we'd hit the barriers trying to do the required elements!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Florence

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:05 pm »
Also, our rink is small and we'd hit the barriers trying to do the required elements!

They did try synchro at your rink VIOI! Me and mini me went for the few sessions it was on. But the rink was still quite new and the coach travelled a fair distance so I don't think there was enough skaters to warrent It? It was fun for the short time It was on!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy