Author Topic: Can beginner adults compete?  (Read 1755 times)

Siobhan205

Can beginner adults compete?
« on: January 06, 2020, 09:36:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

I used to skate recreationally as a kid. I’m now 22 and thinking of getting back into it. I’ve always regretted not competing as a child and was wondering if, with coaching, there are any opportunities for adults to compete, particularly beginners or those who are not at the same standard as other adults who have been skating since they were children?
Also, if you have any tips for an adult looking to start skating that would be great!

Thanks!
Siobhan

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
Re: Can beginner adults compete?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 10:18:26 pm »
Siobhan

There is a club specifically for adults in London that do competitions details are in this topic - http://www.skatingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6551.0

I would also ask at your local club as they should know about the local scene.

Plenty of adults that did not skate as children do compete, I just takes work and a good coach.

Have fun

The Ice Mouse
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:21:16 pm by The ice mouse »

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:09:53 pm »
Lots of opportunities for adults to compete these days.  And spend a fortune on frocks, etc...

For an adult beginner, classes are great if you can find adult-only ones; they're not so much fun if you end up the only adult in a class of juvenile ballistic missiles.  If you opt for one-to-one coaching, try and suss out which coach(es) actually enjoy teaching adults.  Just because they say the coach all ages, doesn't mean they actually enjoy it and - trust me on this - skating as an adult should be fun.

Enjoy the journey!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

MarkD

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:46 pm »
To enter a "proper" adult competition (with judges, scoring and all that) at the lowest level, you would need to be able to:

Skate confidently forwards and backwards, with crossovers.
Manage enough steps and turns to link to together to form a step sequence long enough to go across a rink width
Manage a one-foot spin for 3 revolutions (as slow as you like, as long as it goes round)

Plus for free:
Be able to do two different listed jumps. Easiest are salchow and toe-loop.

Or for solo dance:
One set of twizzles, one moving full turn in each direction
One pose, like a spiral or a spread-eagle

Find yourself a coach and some music you both like.Edit it down to 1 min 40 sec[size=78%].[/size]
Find an adult competition to enter. BIS site lists them.
Find some suitable attire.

There are five different skill levels and an honour system requesting that you enter at a level appropriate to your skill level, so you shouldn't have to follow on from someone who can land a double-axel. The atmosphere amongst competitors is supportive with much exchanging of war stories.

Synchro is another option, with the fact that the adult category in last weekends championships in Nottingham having the most entries showing that this area is likely thriving if you're at a rink that does it.

AnabelleMom

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 03:55:24 am »
In my club mom skates with her daughter, they both compete :) What's nice, they both started skating at the same time and have the same coach. They also practice together  off ice and on ice :)

Loops

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:51:33 am »
This is great!  I just wanted to let you know there are also competitions in France.  If you do solo dance, join the Coupe des Druides Facebook group and you'll be in the loop for the competitions on this side of the channel (I'm on there, so there are other anglophones, and the group is really open and nice).

I'm in the process of helping the organizers translate the announcements, and I know that the skaters here would love it if more from Britain would show up.  I did my first competition this year and had an absolute blast.  I speak french, but wasn't even the only anglophone!

I only do solo dance, and we have two competitions/year: the Coupe des Druides in Late January (in recent years has been held in Toulouse, but may change), and the Fontenay Cup held in Late April (generally in the Paris region).

Both comps are open to preliminary and above dancers, so if you can skate the required pattern dances you're invited!  If you're pre-bronze and above you can present a freedance program as well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy