Author Topic: First skate lesson  (Read 776 times)

Skatermartin

First skate lesson
« on: January 06, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »
So tonight was my first lesson it went very well realy enjoyed it canít wait till next Monday now

FootsieDAX

Re: First skate lesson
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
Great stuff! Onwards and upwards! 

Skatermartin

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:22:57 PM »
Yep snow ploughs need some work 😂

FootsieDAX

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
Ah, you'll get there, you'll see. The joy when something you've tried for a long time finally comes together is priceless!

Skatermartin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:52:00 AM »
Yes hope so I feel Iím progressing every tine I go which is a good thing I guess

Florence

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
Well done in starting! You should progress quicker with lessons.

Skatermartin

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:10 AM »
Yes I think going a few times before booking my lessons has put me on the first run of the ladder I can move away from the wall 😂 but just canít stop very well at the moment all will come over time

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
Stopping is quite tricky.  That icy stuff is slippery...

The way to learn to snowplough stop with the least amount of terror and/or pain is to start off very, very gently, with the least amount of pressure you can use to just move some snow.  Then build up the pressure - and snow - gradually, until you can do it comfortably and confidently.

Enjoy the journey!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Phantom Para blades. It's still a bit slippery.

Skatermartin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »
Well second lesson tonight and getting harder already still havenít worked out my snow plough stop and to top it off they started teaching us backward skating I do love a challenge

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »
Most people find backwards skating easier than stopping, at least to start with.  Keep up the good work!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Phantom Para blades. It's still a bit slippery.

Florence

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
I agree with Wednesdaymarch! My lsat lessons were SK8UK level 8 and a lot of the kids in my group could barely stop / snowplough (I use the kids as an example as they generally pick things up faster then adults) I alwas strugled with snowplough even though could do it, I was never good enough to stop within a reasonable distance. I learnt myself TStop and much prefer it.

I may have see you at the rink last nigh Skatemartin (or your legs from the knees down I was drying skates!) Were you wearing orange blade guards? (working on the premise that you said you wore white boots and most other skaters were wearing blue)