Author Topic: Carolina Kostner is going to have a hip operation  (Read 728 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Carolina Kostner is going to have a hip operation
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »

Competitive figure skating is not much discussed on the forum these days (in some ways I like that because it means people are focused more on their own skating) but I thought someone might be interested in this news:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6srUp3IKIb/

I doubt Caro will ever compete again anyway, but at least if her hip is sorted she could carry on giving pleasure to many in shows.

I saw her win Worlds in Nice, live, and that was enough for me.  Doing three clean skates and getting a bronze in Sochi was a bonus.

This clip has always been a big favourite of mine for a lot of reasons - the music, the way it's filmed, the rink (happy memories of Oberstdorf) as well as the skating.  They are a band from her home valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCNrNQ7XRE  It reminds me of some of Curry's pieces recorded for TV, and Yebin Mok who is worth a Google.

I have watched very little competitive skating recently - I think I overdosed a few years ago and few of the current crop excite me since Caro and Chan retired.  I still love to watch Papadakis and Cizeron - his movement in particular is Curry-like - and Hanyu is amazing.  This year's Grand Prix final features Nathan Chen, who I am not a huge fan of, in the most astonishing jumping performance ever - + GOE on every element, and he attempted a lot of very hard ones.

Leif

Re: Carolina Kostner is going to have a hip operation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:21:40 pm »
Hip injuries are not uncommon in ice hockey. One coach I know who is almost 50 is waiting for a second hip replacement. The son of someone I know played pro hockey, and has had two hip replacements. He is about 30. I know it also damages knees. A friend is on ice coaching many hours a week and his knees are not good. I suspect ice skating is okay at the level of most of us, but at the pro level it must take a toll on the joints, especially jumps.

If any of you have joint problems, I recommend off ice exercises to strengthen the muscles and protect the joints.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Carolina Kostner is going to have a hip operation
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:19 pm »
Indeed it is hard on the hips.  My rollerblading coach has issues in that area and does a huge amount of yoga to counteract it.  I would say do off ice exercises BEFORE you develop joint problems.  I was silly and overdid sport and developed a back issue, which is hard to get rid of once you have it.  When you're younger you can push through times when you are actually asking more of your body than you should.  Prevention is better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy