Author Topic: Skating Goals for 2020  (Read 1622 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Skating Goals for 2020
« on: December 26, 2019, 07:27:07 pm »
I've never been one for making New Year's Resolutions, at least not ones I can't keep- which has usually resulted in nebulous things like, "Wear more velvet" and "Drink more gin" but I figure that a few proper goals might help concentrate my mind and practice habits.  With that in mind, mine are:-

1.  Talk to BIS, find out what my old tests equal in today's money and just what they'd need me to do to sort my coaching qualifications*. 

2.  Start learning Field Moves properly and take the tests.

3.  Work on flexibility and core strength.

4.  Work out what my problem is with my blades and whether it's in my head or can be sorted out by reverting to Phantoms from the Dance ones I'm currently using.

5.  Get a friend past her aversion to backwards motion and through the level she needs to pass to be able to use patch ice at our rink.

6.  Sort a short programme (artistic/free dance) out for the next time the "Wednesday Gang" have a private ice session.  I got so much grief for not doing an exhibition last time that it would probably be easier to just suck it up and do something!

* Possibly.  I haven't decided whether it's worth doing yet but I am getting pestered a lot to do it...!

Anyone else want to share their goals?  I figure putting mine here means I can easily find them again this time next year. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Skating Goals for 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:10:10 pm »
Those are great goals and I wish you luck with them.  I especially like the one about helping someone go backwards.  Give the gift of transmitting the joy you feel in skating.
I think you should still give the Gin and the Velvet a go too.

My goal I suppose is to carry on being in a good place with my skating whereby I enjoy every minute of it.

I have a wish rather than a goal - less cheesy music/same old pop hits on the rink soundsystem, more old skool funk, house, disco, anything you can dance to...  I get to choose my own soundtrack when I rollerblade, on ice I choose not to wear headphones for safety reasons, not an issue in deserted car parks where I skate on wheels.  Music I love is the icing on the cake.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »
I think you should still give the Gin and the Velvet a go too.

;D

Those are actual resolutions from years gone by.  The velvet one resulted in marriage, which was rather an unexpected side effect!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:18:00 am »
That's a lovely story

black

• Skate free
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 12:02:32 pm »
I have a wish rather than a goal - less cheesy music/same old pop hits on the rink soundsystem, more old skool funk, house, disco, anything you can dance to...  I get to choose my own soundtrack when I rollerblade, on ice I choose not to wear headphones for safety reasons, not an issue in deserted car parks where I skate on wheels.  Music I love is the icing on the cake.

Hear, Hear!

For me, simply get more skating in; little and often; try not to let work interfere with skating.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:00:40 pm »

Hear, Hear!

For me, simply get more skating in; little and often; try not to let work interfere with skating.

Yes indeed.  I think my employer wants me to be healthy over the long term and part of that is making sure I stay sane through skating.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 06:43:20 pm »
"Wear more velvet" and "Drink more gin"

From previous comments I question whether the second one is possible. And if in future you wonder if you have ever seen me on a rink, I am 5 foot tall, with ginger hair, and a large belly. Unmistakeable. But somehow irresistible. :)

In the short term my goal is to do a decent CW forwards crossover. It is getting there, but it is not quite right and still a challenge. In the longer term, forwards one foot slalom on both feet, and mastering 3 turns. And in the longer term, the backwards one foot slalom and backwards crossrolls. I’ve said it before that I’m a slow learner, but I believe that hard work can compensate. (Well, my version of hard work, and the odd craft beer or three. Ahem.)

From a hockey perspective, I would like to get more involved in the game plays.

And on a broader perspective, I will sign up for a martial arts class, as I need more self control when  faced with confrontational behaviour, which at the risk of sounding like a wimp, scares me.  ::)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 09:50:39 pm »
From previous comments I question whether the second one is possible. And if in future you wonder if you have ever seen me on a rink, I am 5 foot tall, with ginger hair, and a large belly. Unmistakeable. But somehow irresistible. :)

Good lord, are we twins?!  Oh.  Wait. I'm not ginger...

Also, rude...  ;D ;D ;D

Leif

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 09:16:21 pm »
Good lord, are we twins?!  Oh.  Wait. I'm not ginger...

Also, rude...  ;D ;D ;D

Fortunately you have a good sense of humour. I do think you should try coaching again, I find your comments here very helpful as I’m sure others do too.

I’m tempting fate but I’m getting closer to cracking forwards CW crossovers, as ever body stance is critical.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 10:28:37 pm »
Yes indeed, Wednesday's comments are always on the money.

Florence

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 09:32:38 pm »
My goal is to simply be skating at least once per week the majority of weeks and enjoy it again.
I hope this is doable for 2020  :)

Best of luck guys xx

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy