Author Topic: Skate UK advice  (Read 727 times)

Bells

Skate UK advice
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:27:05 pm »
I’m currently on Skate UK level 5, taking lessons at the NIC in Nottingham. Over the past few weeks I’ve been doing my practice sessions at Lammas in Sutton-in-Ashfield as it’s a similar distance, cheaper, free parking and quieter, although it is a much smaller rink and the ice isn’t as nice as the NIC. After speaking to some of the people that skate at Lammas I’m considering switching my lessons to there, but I was hoping to get some advice on what had worked for you all.

At the NIC the lessons for levels 1-8 are plentiful, all are on the ice at the same time on their own section of ice. Sometimes the groups can get out of hand in terms of size, towards the end of my grade 4 lessons there was around 12 in that grade to one coach. The lessons are £10 per 30 minute sessions, booked in blocks of 6. For that you also get free entry onto the fun skate afterwards, although it’s that busy with kids you can’t practice anything. Parking is also an issue around the NIC, and normally is an additional cost of around £3 per visit.

At Lammas they have an adults only mixed-grade session on a Thursday evening only, where I believe you work on your own grade and a number of coaches are on hand to provide advice as needed. They will then sign off the skate UK book when they feel you are at the required standard. The lessons here are £4.75 per 30 minute session and they’re paid for quarterly. For that you don’t get any access to skating sessions, and parking is free.

I’m contemplating making the move as if the lessons are cheaper I could potentially use the savings to have some private coaching too, it keen to hear your thoughts. How did your lessons work and were you pleased with them? Would you have changed anything if you could?

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Skate UK advice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 11:05:33 pm »
I think a combination of 1-1 and group lessons is a good one, though much depends on the quality of the individual coaches.  I think it's worth a try given the NIC lessons sound less than ideal.  Regular focused practice is also important, and a 1-1 coach should be able to give guidance on that.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 09:31:41 am »
I never had group lessons, although I taught them for years.  I think they're especially good for adults provided the classes are for adults only.  It's no fun being the only adult in a class of unguided juvenile ballistic missiles!

I think that in your situation, Bells, I'd be giving Lammas a try.  You can always go back to NIC if it doesn't work out.  People move coaches and rinks all the time, when they have the option.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 12:29:43 pm »
I totally agree abut giving it a try.
Done by the right coach in the right way I have found group lessons very helpful - you get some personal attention and some corrections to try but you then have a bit of time and space to put the into practice without someone staring at you the whole time.  Sometimes I find 1-1 a bit too much to handle.
Skate as much as you can, choose picky but constructive coaches, relax and enjoy.
I've been skating 13 years now and loving it more than ever.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy