Author Topic: Advice fitting for unusually narrow and thin feet  (Read 3110 times)

NathanH

Re: Advice fitting for unusually narrow and thin feet
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 05:51:37 pm »
I am glad you had a good experience
It sounds like you are already getting a good feel for what works for you and that can only improve and will stand you in good stead in the years to come
Even if you don’t find the perfect skate this time you will know how to make the best of what’s available
Secondhand RF4s in that size should come up fairly often though you may need to paint them black if you’re bothered about the colour as there are more young ladies than young men that figure skate

Thanks! Just a silly question, I don't particularly mind white but the Edea were actually ordered in black out of personal preference, but how did you pick up on that? I mean, maybe I mentionned it and forgot about it x) I didn't know you could paint skates, I'd be curious to see the result

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 07:47:32 pm »
I am not sure it’s recommended. Some people use black boot covers
A few years ago I used to listen to a figure skating podcast and there was an interview with Chris Howarth who was an elite competitor for Britain before he became a coach and commentator
He grew up in Brighton when there was still a rink there. Figure skates were hard to find at the time and he ended up with a white pair as that was all they could find. He painted them and was then highly embarrassed when he did a drag to leave a strip of black paint on the ice
The story stuck in my mind

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »
Another option is to try other skater's skates on.  Someone we skate with asked my daughter if she could try her skates on as they are similar size and she was thinking of buying similar model.  She was lucky enough to find someone else we skate with who also had sme size feet but different model skate.  I'm going to start stalking size 9 men...

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:03 pm »
  I'm going to start stalking size 9 men...

….so this size 8 mouse is safe then

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

NathanH

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 11:19:11 pm »
I am not sure it’s recommended. Some people use black boot covers
A few years ago I used to listen to a figure skating podcast and there was an interview with Chris Howarth who was an elite competitor for Britain before he became a coach and commentator
He grew up in Brighton when there was still a rink there. Figure skates were hard to find at the time and he ended up with a white pair as that was all they could find. He painted them and was then highly embarrassed when he did a drag to leave a strip of black paint on the ice
The story stuck in my mind

Oh boy. Touching story

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 11:26:58 pm »
They are still available here.  Really well done and some top guests: http://www.manleywoman.com/

NathanH

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 11:50:52 pm »
Another option is to try other skater's skates on.  Someone we skate with asked my daughter if she could try her skates on as they are similar size and she was thinking of buying similar model.  She was lucky enough to find someone else we skate with who also had sme size feet but different model skate.  I'm going to start stalking size 9 men...

Because I'm now looking into uk 4, guess my next step is leaving an ad with my number at my ice rink door with a "looking for size 4 skaters to try your skates on"

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 11:00:46 am »
Because I'm now looking into uk 4, guess my next step is leaving an ad with my number at my ice rink door with a "looking for size 4 skaters to try your skates on"

Skate round staring at people's feet and if any of them look close to a 4, find a sudden urge to befriend them.  Might require caution as many size 4 skaters will be children - the instance of it I witnessed was between adults (who were regulars and acquainted anyway).  In all seriousness, getting to know regulars can be useful for many reasons, this being one of them. - especially the more experienced ones who will usually be pleased to pass on insights and help in any way they can.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »

Not as strange a request as it first sounds.  Lots of people try my boots on.  I'm about a shoe size 4, and Graf Dance aren't exactly run of the mill boots, so not something you find routinely stocked in skate shops, especially in the wide fitting.  Most of the people who try them sigh ecstatically and ask if they can keep them, until they try standing up and discover just how low cut they are and how wobbly they feel after a standard freestyle boot...  ;D

For the record, Graf do make a narrow fitting (S) but I suspect it's probably too wide for you.  Their sizing also doesn't seem to quite match up with other makes.  Mine are marked on the box as UK 4 1/2, FR 37 1/3 and 23.5 cm (which is mondo 235).  Somebody has written on the box UK 2.5 and underlined it in heavy black marker, so I'm guessing they didn't fit people who tried them on...! My feet measure 238mm, and these boots are plenty long enough for me.  I bought them, brand new, for a song on eBay and I still can't quite believe my luck.  You can often buy brand new boots on the proviso that you can return them if they don't fit, provided you haven't skated in them.  Always check the T&Cs if you're tempted.

Harlick tend to run narrow, but they excel at custom boots and you're unlikely to find them in this country.

It sounds to me like Everglides were very helpful.  Don't worry too much about colour either.  These days pretty much anything goes and there are always boot covers.  I wear beige suede boots, plenty of women wear black (especially suede) and there are no actual rules about it, just "tradition".  At some point, I'm hoping to have custom Harlicks in pale pink with my business logo inlaid in purple.   8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »
One of my ex-coaches had custom Harlicks and loved them.  You can order them from the US but you'd need to do your own measuring I think - I am not aware they have a UK distributor.

From my enquiries I have found that online sellers regard higher end boots as special order items to which the normal distance selling rules about refunds don't apply, so they can charge a very hefty "re-stocking" fee or simply refuse to refund you.  Some of the boots may well be made to order depending on the size and model.  As you say, check the Ts&Cs.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 03:50:06 pm »
One of my ex-coaches had custom Harlicks and loved them.  You can order them from the US but you'd need to do your own measuring I think - I am not aware they have a UK distributor.

I'm hoping they'll have a stand at Worlds in Montreal in March.  I intend to check them out very thoroughly, so I know exactly what I need to do for measurements when/if the time comes for my pink suede pair.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy