Author Topic: Hip alignment woes  (Read 776 times)

Annoushkadomynique

Hip alignment woes
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:45:20 pm »
Could anyone recommend some exercises to help improve hip flexibility and alignment?

After struggling to hold my spin entry and forcibly going into it out of control I have realised that my hip is not sitting over my knees but is instead popping outwards! This is something I also struggling with when carrying out 3 jumps and I really have to concentrate on keeping that hip nice and squared.

I'm hoping someone will have some useful tips + tricks for this problem as it is driving me mad!! At 25 it is much more difficult to abolish bad habits than when you're younger.

deimante

Re: Hip alignment woes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 07:04:51 pm »
working on your posture with your coach or if you've got anyone you know at the rink should help. i had the same thing happen when doing level 1 edges but we fixed it by making sure my weight is over my little toe for the outside edges. i do pronate on my left side a little so my blade was adjusted if that might help at all?

i think it helps to get a feel of correct body alignment and try to replicate it until your body adjusts.

WednesdayMarch

Re: Hip alignment woes
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:52:46 am »
Ballet and the Alexander Technique are helpful.

Working on your posture and becoming more aware of what you are doing with your body is the only way to fix this.  Try to remember that in order for your weight to be in the right place over your skate, you need to have everything in alignment, from your head through shoulders, hips, and ankle. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy