Author Topic: Basingstoke rink bans skating  (Read 1228 times)

Leif

Basingstoke rink bans skating
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:09:30 pm »
I went to the rink on Sunday and after ten minutes practicing a steward told me I was not allowed to skate backwards or do three turns. Obviously jumps were out, but I don't do those anyway. So I left, drove for an hour to another rink, where I was allowed to practice despite it being busier.

Bizarre. There was loads of room in the central area at Basingstoke, okay you had to keep an eye out for teachers and students but that's not so hard. I spoke to one chap who had just finished a lesson and was about to practice what he had been taught.

Last week I was nearly sent flying by a child pushing a penguin across the rink into my path. In my experience the dangers come from novices skating beyond their ability, children skating anywhere they please without regard to others, and some hockey skaters shooting around far too fast and close to people.

Carrie

Re: Basingstoke rink bans skating
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:00:33 pm »

Leif, how annoying that must have been!  Perhaps it’s the rule only for Sunday’s or when it’s busy and not other sessions as that wouldn’t make sense. 

Leif

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:53 pm »

Leif, how annoying that must have been!  Perhaps it’s the rule only for Sunday’s or when it’s busy and not other sessions as that wouldn’t make sense.

My understanding is that it is daytime Saturday and Sunday, but not Friday evening. I don’t go Friday evening as it’s too dangerous. Obviously not daytime weekdays, and probably not Tuesday evening.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 08:49:55 am »
So how are people supposed to learn to skate?  Surely it would make more sense to have the stewards policing the dangerous people so that the ones wanting to practice can do so and everybody is relatively safe?  Or is that too easy...? 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 01:13:40 pm »
I agree. The irony is that I left to go to a rink owned by the same company (Gosport), but with different rules in force. However, Gosport is about two feet wide and three feet long as you know.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 07:11:36 pm »
I agree. The irony is that I left to go to a rink owned by the same company (Gosport), but with different rules in force. However, Gosport is about two feet wide and three feet long as you know.

It grown since I was last there :-)

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 07:45:28 pm »
It's still better than Plymouth!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 11:48:47 pm »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy