Author Topic: New skate advice  (Read 1620 times)

Bells

New skate advice
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:28:07 pm »
Hi all,

My first post on here, although I’ve been a lurker for a while!

I’m considering new boots, but after some advice please. I’m currently skating at the NIC, working on Skate UK level 4. I’m skating in second hand Risport Lasers, which I believe are a very old boot. For the most part these are ok, but I suspect they might not be wide enough for my feet, although the length of fit is perfect. I have bunions on both feet and it’s been a real ordeal getting the tightness of my skates right. I’ve now got to a point where my bunions don’t hurt in the boots, but to get my ankle locked in I have to really tighten the ankles, which is then making my feet ache terribly.

I’ve heard that Edea’s are a wider fitting boot, but I’m worried that I’ll buy them thinking they feel ok and end up wasting money once I’ve actually skated in them. Do you have any advice on what I need to be looking for when I go to try these and any other boots? With the Edea’s would you also say that the Overture would be the right level boot too?

Thanks!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: New skate advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:50:58 pm »
Yes, Overture would be the right level of boot in Edeas but you really need to try all the different makes and styles of boot you can get your hands on - feet into! - to check that there isn't something better out there for you.  Feet are tricky things to fit, as just about every one of us will testify.  Edeas do come in different width fittings, so don't let your pro shop tell you they don't.  They do, they just usually have to be ordered as few places keep them in stock.

With bunions, you may find that you need a boot that comes in a split width fitting anyway, in order to give enough space at the front for the toes and bunions and still be snug enough to lock the heel in place.  I believe Jackson do split width fittings but I could be wrong.

There is also usually an option to have the boot punched out and/or heat moulded to cater for bunions.

I have wide feet and adore Graf in the L(wide) fitting.  I have to punch out by my left big toe to cater for a sore joint but other than that, they're bliss.

Good luck in your search for the perfect boot.

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Bells

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:40:34 pm »
Thanks WednesdayMarch, that info is really useful!

I was hoping to go over to the skate shop on Friday when I have more time to try a few pairs on. When I spoke to them they said they only had a couple of pairs of boots in my size (255), so I’m a little nervous that I won’t have that much to go against.

I was considering taking a drive over to Evolution Skates as I know they offer a good returns policy if the skates aren’t a good fit and they’ve been fitted in store. But I’ve looked on their website and they don’t list a lot of boots. Do you know if they will have more in store to try on? It’s a 120 mile round trip, so don’t want it to be a wasted journey if I get there and they don’t have many to try on.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »

I was considering taking a drive over to Evolution Skates as I know they offer a good returns policy if the skates aren’t a good fit and they’ve been fitted in store. But I’ve looked on their website and they don’t list a lot of boots. Do you know if they will have more in store to try on? It’s a 120 mile round trip, so don’t want it to be a wasted journey if I get there and they don’t have many to try on.

No idea,.I'm afraid.  I'm in Cornwall and the idea of a mere 120 miles to a skate shop is wonderful.  ::)

Give them a call to find out.  It may be that they'll make sure they have things for you to try if they know you're making a trip to see them.  I think 255 is a common size, so hopefully...

Just don't feel pressured to buy anything that you're not completely happy with.  Try everything - in both stores - first.  And then see if there are any others you think might be better in other places, even the internet; you can usually return things that don't fit, provided you haven't attached blades or skated in them.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:42 pm »
Not sure if you mean bunions or callouses. I have a callous on my right big toe where it rubs inside my boot, and I found some silicone toe protectors on ebay that work a treat. £2 for two. Obviously a perfectly fitting boot is preferable but this is nearly as good.

Bells

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:58:09 pm »
No idea,.I'm afraid.  I'm in Cornwall and the idea of a mere 120 miles to a skate shop is wonderful.  ::)

Give them a call to find out.  It may be that they'll make sure they have things for you to try if they know you're making a trip to see them.  I think 255 is a common size, so hopefully...

Just don't feel pressured to buy anything that you're not completely happy with.  Try everything - in both stores - first.  And then see if there are any others you think might be better in other places, even the internet; you can usually return things that don't fit, provided you haven't attached blades or skated in them.

Thanks! I will bare all this on mind when I go to look. I’ve also contacted Everglides as I’ve heard fantastic things about them. I know I can’t get to them for a fitting, but hopefully they might be able to help!

Bells

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 11:01:07 pm »
Not sure if you mean bunions or callouses. I have a callous on my right big toe where it rubs inside my boot, and I found some silicone toe protectors on ebay that work a treat. £2 for two. Obviously a perfectly fitting boot is preferable but this is nearly as good.

Thanks for the suggestion Leif, but unfortunately they are bunions. I’ve had them since I was young (even though I always had properly fitted shoes from the likes of Clark’s) I do wish they were just callouses though, would make things much simpler!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 04:08:37 pm »
A lot of friends of mine use Evolution but they mostly carry Edea, and a few people have said they're reluctant to order stuff in. I'd go to Sheffield, I've had great service from them twice now.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Bells

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 09:19:50 pm »
So I took the plunge and spoke to Everglides a few days ago after trying a few boots on at the ice locker and being non the wiser about what I should go for. They asked for pictures of my feet and details of the boots I was wearing, from there they recommended either Edea Overtures or Risport Electra as apparently they’re wider than my lasers. I was aware that the Edea’s are looser fitting in the ankle, but I do like a good knee bend when skating, and wasn’t worried by this, so I decided to go for the Edea’s.

They arrived and fitted perfectly, they felt super comfortable and extremely padded compared to the lasers. The big test was today when I had my first lesson in them and I have to say they were fantastic! I felt like I was wearing slippers! Absolutely no pain in my feet at all for the 2.5 hours I skated in total.

I do now have an additional question for you all though. The boots were sharpened by Everglides and they skate beautifully! I’ve previously had my boots sharpened at the arena, but I know Rod Turner sharpens boots once a month close by. Am I right in thinking Rod is highly recommended by the forum? If so I’ll ensure I try to get my boots over to him regularly instead of using the rink.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:55 pm »
I do now have an additional question for you all though. The boots were sharpened by Everglides and they skate beautifully! I’ve previously had my boots sharpened at the arena, but I know Rod Turner sharpens boots once a month close by. Am I right in thinking Rod is highly recommended by the forum? If so I’ll ensure I try to get my boots over to him regularly instead of using the rink.

My blades used to be sharpened by John Turner, Rod's father.  I believe that Rod does an excellent job, so you won't go far wrong in taking your skates to him.  Nowadays, I use a chap who was trained by John Turner, as I'm located in the Wild West.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 09:41:56 pm »
Rod sharpens skates brilliantly, definitely worth getting them done by him.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy