Author Topic: Do you need 200 small videos of all the Figure Skating elements?  (Read 871 times)

Anton Stenin

Hello everyone!

I have got a question:
Does it feel like there is a lack of knowledge on how to learn doing this or that figure skating element, and also of preparatory exercises for elements (especially if element is complex), and also the typical mistakes when performing an element? I especially mean adult “amature” skaters.

The point is  - I (Anton Stenin, an simple amateur skater from Russia, Moscow) plan - together with Konstantin Kokora (a russian figure skating trainer, who did his skating career around 40 years ago, and since then works as a trainer;  he’s one of the few people who knows figure skating from it’s deepest roots and to it’s heights and treats FC as a sort of Knowledge, if we use a word in an old fashioned Socrat style manner) - to create a series of short video clips where all the figure skating element will be presented, starting from the very basics and ending with complex things, errors will be sorted out, different roads and preliminary exercises for the elements would be shown, the rules of figure skating technic will be explained (the 7 basic elements, the struggle agains gravity and inertia), and in general - all figure skating is gonna be presented in such a way that any person could learn it from scratch until the limit of his time and enthusiasm.

I think there will be at least 200 videos, each lasting for a minute or two. One element - one video clip. On it, the model performs an element in slow motion. During the execution of the element, the video will stop periodically, and everything that you need to know and what to pay attention to will be drawn on it with infographics / arrows / lines - position of the body, position of the arms, legs, angles of rotation of the foot and body, trajectory of the skating edge movement, typical errors. I also think that the necessary minimum of lecture style talking to the camera would also be recorded.

After that, all the material will be uploaded to the Internet and anyone would have a completely free access to it.

But before starting this hard work, I would like to know who needs it, how many interested people there are, on which online and offline sites the potential consumer of this knowledge may come into contact with information he / she needs.

Best regards
Anton Stenin

Leif

Re: Do you need 200 small videos of all the Figure Skating elements?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
Take a look at the YouTube videos by Kseniya and Oleg, the viewing figures will tell you the size of your potential audience. Their videos are very well shot, and the skating is excellent.  :)

spinZZ

Re: Do you need 200 small videos of all the Figure Skating elements?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:00:31 pm »
OP:  YouTube is a good place to start; there are a lot of figure skating instructional videos out there, ranging from totally useless to really good.  I agree that many of the ones by Kseniya and Oleg are among the really good.  You should check out a sample of existing videos (by anyone) before you start your project:  learn to avoid what is totally useless, and learn how to improve on what is already really good.

I think that aiming for a length of 1 - 2 min per video throughout is not a good idea.  That's too short to explain most moves in detail step-by-step.  The proper length will of course depend on the complexity of the move, but I think 3 - 5 min per video would be more useful (more complex moves could be spread out over more than one video if needed).  I would prefer fewer moves taught well, rather than 200 moves taught poorly (given limited resources).

What I would find useful is more coverage of the mistakes that skaters learning the moves for the first time would make, and how to correct those mistakes.  Some videos do talk about some common mistakes, but too briefly.  In addition to seeing an experienced skater demonstrate how a move should be done properly, I would like to see inexperienced skaters doing it improperly (in the common variety of ways) ... and having a coach take them through remedial steps to correct their mistakes.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:12:33 pm by spinZZ »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy