Author Topic: Need a plan after Level 8  (Read 863 times)

ernie_hudds

Need a plan after Level 8
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:39:58 pm »
Hi,

I'm 44, male and have been going through the NISA levels and reached level 8. Obviously I'm reasonably close to finishing the course, but I just wondered what to do when I finally do complete. In a way I don't want them to end as I've had so much fun trying to get better and passing the grades etc.
I feel like I will be too old to do any competing, but perhaps go on to the bronze levels and so on. Just don't know where I'm going with it in a way - I guess I can skate to a reasonable level now - so maybe just keep going for personal satisfaction - dunno it's a weird one.  Any ideas? or anyone else feel the same?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Need a plan after Level 8
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 10:47:24 pm »
Plenty of adults - male included - still competing in their 70s.  You keep going, you're doing great.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Need a plan after Level 8
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:37:32 pm »
I started at a similar age, with my daughters
I never wanted to compete, would have liked to do shows had I any talent but I don't
Tried tests but not my thing
So ten years on I just please myself, work on whatever makes me happy, take the odd lesson, skate with my daughters whenever I can, pick up tips from them
It's like a drug for me, so I've never really had to think too much about where I'm going with it, just had to learn to enjoy it and not get frustrated too often when I don't master something I'm trying to do, and deal with the fact that at 54 I have to work harder physically to do certain things
Just grateful to have had the chance to achieve some kind of control over what I'm doing and skate with some really talented skaters and coaches
Happy to noodle around deserted car parks where I live, on wheels, doing pivots or whatever other silly nonsense is making me tick that week
Some clubs include adults in shows if that's your thing
There's Ice Dance if you have the nerve to skate with a partner, there's RIDL (Recreational Ice Dance League), maybe Synchro?
Ice Hockey?
Roller Derby?
Organised street skates in London, with music?
The world is your oyster
But really I'm happy making crunching noises on the ice with edge pressure, or doing grapevines - the only move I am really fluent at

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy