Author Topic: Wrist guards??  (Read 1704 times)

JenniRose399

Wrist guards??
« on: October 11, 2019, 04:40:44 pm »
Hi all,

I'm an adult beginner synchro/figure skater and managed to definitely fracture 1 wrist and possibly fracture the other this week doing the classic falling backwards and putting my hands down to break my fall. First time in my 2 years skating a fall has resulted in a proper injury (more than bruises of course!).
I'm thinking about getting back on the ice already, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting wrist guards as I'm sure once I get the medical a-ok I will still have weakness in my wrists for a while!

Any one got any recommendations?

Cheers!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Wrist guards??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:50 am »
Someone I know wears Flexmeter D30 since breaking a wrist.  I like the D30 stuff.  Excellent protection.  Just ask Leif...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:42:56 pm »
Have you thought about elbow pads? By default I fall on my arm not my wrist, but maybe you’re not like me.

Someone I know wears Flexmeter D30 since breaking a wrist.  I like the D30 stuff.  Excellent protection.  Just ask Leif...

Yes.  ;D

JenniRose399

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:18:44 pm »
I think most times I've fallen it has been wrists or knees I've banged! This is my first proper injury and it is making me think more seriously about fall protection so I will look into elbow pads!

I'll look into he D30s, thanks for the recommendation!

JenniRose399

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 11:54:24 am »
Is it the single or double sided guards you have experience with? They are obviously quite pricey and I am willing to invest in a good set to avoid future injury but equally don't want to pay for something which is more than I need!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:01:49 pm »
Is it the single or double sided guards you have experience with? They are obviously quite pricey and I am willing to invest in a good set to avoid future injury but equally don't want to pay for something which is more than I need!

I have no idea which my skating friend uses.  If she's there on Wednesday morning, I'll try to remember to ask...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:51:32 pm »
Isn’t there supposed to be a correct way to fall? I’m sure WednesdayMarch knows if there is. (Don’t take that the wrong way WM, you know what I mean.) I find high speed falls fine, it’s the slow ones, usually onto my backside, that hurt.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »
Isn’t there supposed to be a correct way to fall? I’m sure WednesdayMarch knows if there is. (Don’t take that the wrong way WM, you know what I mean.) I find high speed falls fine, it’s the slow ones, usually onto my backside, that hurt.

Well, I've probably fallen every which way it's possible to fall...!   ;D  As far as I'm aware, there really isn't a "correct" way to fall.  Every fall is different, depending on speed, height, direction of motion, momentum, ice conditions...  Falls on lovely smooth ice have the benefit of sliding, which takes away a lot of the sting of a "thud and stick" fall, which is usually what happens at my rink, as they never seem to actually flood the ice more than once a day...  Keeping your head up is probably the most important thing to try to do, as concussion and head injuries are more dangerous than broken bones.

My friend with the wrist guards wasn't there yesterday morning so I've been unable to find out which sort she wears. 

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 04:00:19 pm »
You're meant to try and land on your forearms to avoid landing on your hands (and straining your wrists), but I usually try and buckle my knees down as I start falling in order to reduce falling distance and then use my hands and what parts of my legs are already on the ice to divert downward momentum into sideways momentum. The problem is that correct falling technique is largely instinctive, which makes it difficult to teach I feel.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Leif

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:11 pm »
The reason I mentioned falling ‘correctly’ is because I had an argument online with a figure skater. He reckoned you could mitigate a fall by technique. So I assumed it was some fiendishly clever figure skating move. I reckoned I just fall, and if I’m moving slowly that often means onto my backside. I did once see a figure skater fall by sprawling which I took as harm reduction, but maybe it was just a sprawl. I do avoid falling on my hands, preferring to fall on my padded elbows which can take more impact. That said, these days I rarely have a bad fall, just stumbles.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:36 am »
The reason I mentioned falling ‘correctly’ is because I had an argument online with a figure skater. He reckoned you could mitigate a fall by technique. So I assumed it was some fiendishly clever figure skating move. I reckoned I just fall, and if I’m moving slowly that often means onto my backside. I did once see a figure skater fall by sprawling which I took as harm reduction, but maybe it was just a sprawl. I do avoid falling on my hands, preferring to fall on my padded elbows which can take more impact. That said, these days I rarely have a bad fall, just stumbles.

If I had to describe my falling technique in one word then "sprawl" is a VERY accurate descriptor! ;D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy