Author Topic: Breaking-In New Skates  (Read 948 times)

NJSkate67

Breaking-In New Skates
« on: September 15, 2019, 06:44:19 pm »
Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice,

I bought my new skates about 4 days ago, i had them heat mould,

I've since had them on about 4or5 times to get used to them,

My RIght boot feels like it's getting their,
But my Left one is still quite sore i'd say around a 2.5/5,
The pain is mostly at the bridge of the foot.

any tips, i know this will eventually get better but i'm looking to try and speed up the process.

Thanks.

Leif

Re: Breaking-In New Skates
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:40 pm »
Since no-one has replied, I'll add my thoughts. I assume these are hockey skates? In general thermoformable skates can be heat moulded more than once. Mine can be done three times for example. Best to find out first what the recommendations are for yours.

You could try to heat mould the left skate to see if that helps. I think the temperature is 80 Celcius but again do check. I did mine by placing them in an electric convection oven. I wouldn't do it in a non convection oven, or a gas one. I know someone who did theirs in a gas oven and the flame melted the ankle guard.  :o He isn't the world's brightest lad. I put a baking tray at the top of my oven, and then placed the skate on a baking tray beneath the first tray, in order to protect it from the heating element. When you lace them up, don't lace them tight, and pull the laces away from the skate so as not to strain the eyelets. Best done in the shop where you bought them if possible, as they are experts at baking skates. Doing it at home is potentially risky, as you cannot be sure the oven thermometer is correct, or the heating is even.

By bridge I assume you mean the arch? It might simply be that you need an arch support. That said, it is common to get pain from new skates. I got some pain and mine are custom skates! It took a few months for mine to break in, but I'm now getting some pain on my big toe. It's minor so I ignore it. You could just skate in them regularly, and wait for them to break in. If they don't improve after a month, then you might look at supports.

Which skates do you have?

NJSkate67

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:53:58 pm »
Since no-one has replied, I'll add my thoughts. I assume these are hockey skates? In general thermoformable skates can be heat moulded more than once. Mine can be done three times for example. Best to find out first what the recommendations are for yours.

You could try to heat mould the left skate to see if that helps. I think the temperature is 80 Celcius but again do check. I did mine by placing them in an electric convection oven. I wouldn't do it in a non convection oven, or a gas one. I know someone who did theirs in a gas oven and the flame melted the ankle guard.  :o He isn't the world's brightest lad. I put a baking tray at the top of my oven, and then placed the skate on a baking tray beneath the first tray, in order to protect it from the heating element. When you lace them up, don't lace them tight, and pull the laces away from the skate so as not to strain the eyelets. Best done in the shop where you bought them if possible, as they are experts at baking skates. Doing it at home is potentially risky, as you cannot be sure the oven thermometer is correct, or the heating is even.

By bridge I assume you mean the arch? It might simply be that you need an arch support. That said, it is common to get pain from new skates. I got some pain and mine are custom skates! It took a few months for mine to break in, but I'm now getting some pain on my big toe. It's minor so I ignore it. You could just skate in them regularly, and wait for them to break in. If they don't improve after a month, then you might look at supports.

Which skates do you have?

I have Bauer Nexus 2700,

I've already had them heat moulded,

I feel like it will get better i managed to have the skates on for around an hour before i took them off.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:11:15 pm »
Those are good skates. I was suggesting you might bake them a second time. I found two additional bakes of Bauer 2s pro skates improved the fit, but maybe best for you to wear them in.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy