Author Topic: Protective Equipment  (Read 1105 times)

NJSkate67

Protective Equipment
« on: September 14, 2019, 07:43:13 am »
HI there,

I was wondering if anyone is able to recommend elbow and knee pads,
that would be useful for adults and for ice skating to minimise the chance of injury etc,

I'd be looking to get them from such a site as amazon,
any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:45:00 am by NJSkate67 »

Leif

Re: Protective Equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
I wear pads in public sessions having had non serious injuries to my coccyx. I wear Xion boxer shorts and knee pads with D3O inserts. Expensive but incredible and no one knows I wear them. I wear Gform elbow pads, excellent and light.

Gform pads are cheaper, more compact, fully washable but not as protective as D3O pads such as Xion. They are good enough for knees and elbows. Be aware sizes are small, I returned small to get medium, sizing information is wrong.

I also have Demon D3O padded shorts, very protective, not as well made as Xion and they get sweaty. I much prefer the Xion boxer shorts, which are worn over underpants and beneath tracksuit bottoms.

I used to wear skateboarding elbow pads, with a hard plastic shell. Very protective, cheap but too bulky IMO.

I also wore a skateboarding helmet for six months, but stopped hitting my head when I replaced badly fitting skates. Thanks Guildford rink shop for selling me ill fitting skates. A helmet is worth it if you are wobbly or lack confidence. I left a nice smear of blood when I hit my head at Guildford.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:31:34 am »
Oh, and I thought I had better mention that cheap pads use cheap foams with minimal protection unless they are very thick, good pads use advanced foams based on non Newtonian fluids, such as D3O and Gform.

NJSkate67

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:24:55 am »
I wear pads in public sessions having had non serious injuries to my coccyx. I wear Xion boxer shorts and knee pads with D3O inserts. Expensive but incredible and no one knows I wear them. I wear Gform elbow pads, excellent and light.

Gform pads are cheaper, more compact, fully washable but not as protective as D3O pads such as Xion. They are good enough for knees and elbows. Be aware sizes are small, I returned small to get medium, sizing information is wrong.

I also have Demon D3O padded shorts, very protective, not as well made as Xion and they get sweaty. I much prefer the Xion boxer shorts, which are worn over underpants and beneath tracksuit bottoms.

I used to wear skateboarding elbow pads, with a hard plastic shell. Very protective, cheap but too bulky IMO.

I also wore a skateboarding helmet for six months, but stopped hitting my head when I replaced badly fitting skates. Thanks Guildford rink shop for selling me ill fitting skates. A helmet is worth it if you are wobbly or lack confidence. I left a nice smear of blood when I hit my head at Guildford.

Are you getting this from one particular place, do you have a link?

I bought my skates from Cold Blooded Sports, they're the shop that heat moulded my skates.

also,

your advice and opinion is extremely helpful,
Thanks again

Leif

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 12:03:23 pm »
Xion pads come direct from Amsterdam. I bought Gform pads online from Wiggle cycle shop. I also have Forcefield pads, not recommended. Best to buy on the high street if possible.

NJSkate67

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »
Xion pads come direct from Amsterdam. I bought Gform pads online from Wiggle cycle shop. I also have Forcefield pads, not recommended. Best to buy on the high street if possible.

So what would you recommend for ice skating personally i like the idea of the Xion boxer shorts and knee pads with D3O inserts,

However not sure about my budget.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 01:12:10 pm »
So what would you recommend for ice skating personally i like the idea of the Xion boxer shorts and knee pads with D3O inserts,

However not sure about my budget.

If I was to buy a set of pads today, based on experience, it would be Xion boxer shorts, and Gform elbow and knee pads. A coccyx pad is essential for me, having been off work due to a fall. Crawling along the carpet on all fours unable to walk is not fun. Xion knee pads are better, but Gform ones are lighter and good enough.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy