Author Topic: I've begun a journey  (Read 1134 times)

NJSkate67

I've begun a journey
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:06 pm »
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice,
I've been a hockey fan for the past number of years and I'm looking to take up ice skating, I have already bought my skate.

I was wondering tho, when I tried on my skates my feet shook, I couldn't stand straight and felt like if I moved I would hit the deck, I've had them heat moulded but have yet to try them on again as was told to wait at least 24hrs.

I'm worried about this as I don't know if this will happen everytime I tried to stand in them, can anyone give me some advice,

Thanks in advance

transmissionoftheflame

Re: I've begun a journey
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »
Keep trying, be patient, you'll be fine.  Enrol in a beginner course of lessons at your local rink.  Most people feel a bit wobbly first time out and many continue to do so for a while when they first get on the ice.  Your body and brain need to get programmed with the posture and movements necessary to stay upright.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 06:21:30 pm »
It is as said normal to feel wobbley, we’ve all been there. Keep at it, and gradually you will feel more at ease. It takes time to learn balance, and to strengthen your muscles. When feeling down, just think of the hockey matches you’ve seen, and tell yourself that in a few years time you will be whizzing around on i e, pushing a puck about. It is amazing fun. Keep at it.

I second classes, maybe group at first, but if you can afford it do one on one, but make sure you do several hours on your own after each half hour lesson.

NJSkate67

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:33:51 pm »
Thanks for the the advice,

I've join 2 skate schools which I can travel to both are on different dates, so I'm having lessons at least twice a week and also will probably go to a public a few times a week. But fitting it round shifts :(

I'm looking forward to this.

Florence

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:24:59 am »
You'll soon feel more confident and lose the wobbles after having 2 lessons a week for a few weeks! Good luck and enjoy x

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:37 am »
You're practically standing on knives for the first time.  It's going to feel wobbly.  That feeling goes as you skate more.  Honestly, it does.

Enjoy your journey.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy