Author Topic: Oxford skate sharpening  (Read 2940 times)

anna1717

Oxford skate sharpening
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:10:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

I skate at the Oxford rink but I've been advised by other skaters not to sharpen my skates there. :-\ Does anyone have experience with sharpening skates in Oxford? Or can anyone suggest any alternative skate shops nearby? I'm travelling north this week from Oxford to York so I could stop on the way anywhere in between, like Sheffield. Or if necessary I'll go down to London. I'm not very good (despite not being all that new) so I need all the help I can get!

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything recent about Oxford skate sharpening, so I hope I'm not duplicating any other post . . .

Thank you all so much!

The Sacred Voice

Re: Oxford skate sharpening
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 04:03:13 pm »
I used to skate regularly at Oxford and I can tell you that the man to go to is the coach Richard Beamish, assuming he's still there and still does it. He's very friendly and he takes them back to his place and does them then brings them back in a few days later. He charges ~£6.

Best sharpening I've ever had. I would be very cautious of letting the rink do the sharpening, the people you've spoken to aren't wrong about that.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Crackers

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:00:05 pm »
I know that it's not Oxford, but it is not too far away.
We recommend 'All Star Hockey' in Swindon for a very good sharpen (for Figure & Hockey Skates).  They sharpen your skates whilst you wait and also charge £6.
Check their opening times before going though.
Wednesday & Thursday 5.30pm to 7.30pm
Saturday 9am to 2pm

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:23:18 pm »
We've used Rod Turner for years.  He goes to MK, I think Solihull, is based in Brum, and comes to Streatham and possibly Bracknell.  Probably a few other places.  He tends to visit every 6 weeks which is about right if you skate fairly regularly and frequently.  You can find his contact details easy enough with a Google search.

anna1717

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:11:26 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone who has replied! It's so helpful to get personal recommendations. I'll try all of the above and see which one I can get to soonest - I'm a bit anxious to get my skates sharpened soon.

Thank you also for the confirmation that I shouldn't trust the Oxford rink! I was tempted, so you may have helped me to avert disaster.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:15:01 pm by anna1717 »

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:38:55 pm »
We've used Rod Turner for years.  He goes to MK, I think Solihull, is based in Brum, and comes to Streatham and possibly Bracknell.  Probably a few other places.  He tends to visit every 6 weeks which is about right if you skate fairly regularly and frequently.  You can find his contact details easy enough with a Google search.

Rod used to go to Oxford Ice Rink as well but was ousted amongst some sort of political tussle with the rink management that I never really received the full details of :-\
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »
Rod used to go to Oxford Ice Rink as well but was ousted amongst some sort of political tussle with the rink management that I never really received the full details of :-\

That has happened at other rinks too. Possibly the rink shop or in house sharpener don’t like the competition.  I know some rinks charge for the space. I tend to think they should make it easy for visiting sharpeners as it is a service to the regular skaters who help keep the place going.

skatebrasil

• Live and love life to the full with your skates on
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:06 am »
Hi everyone,

I skate at the Oxford rink but I've been advised by other skaters not to sharpen my skates there. :-\ Does anyone have experience with sharpening skates in Oxford? Or can anyone suggest any alternative skate shops nearby? I'm travelling north this week from Oxford to York so I could stop on the way anywhere in between, like Sheffield. Or if necessary I'll go down to London. I'm not very good (despite not being all that new) so I need all the help I can get!

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything recent about Oxford skate sharpening, so I hope I'm not duplicating any other post . . .
Anna, Richard Beamish is a top coach there who sharpens blades very well. If you mean theicerink then no, but Richard yes.

Thank you all so much!

skatebrasil

• Live and love life to the full with your skates on
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 08:41:40 am »
Hi Anna, Richard Beamish is the top man, top coachand Oxford. You need to speak to him directly at Oxford. Superb grinds. Different from Oxford grinds!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy