Author Topic: Altrincham Ice Rink  (Read 1102 times)

AquaGuy

Altrincham Ice Rink
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:54:13 pm »
Does anyone go there?

I wan to know if evening public skating sessions are genuinely really busier or quieter than daytime.

I know on weekdays it is often quieter than weekends I've found, but I'm wanting to learn to skate without many people, if any, there since I'm learning ice hockey and have nowhere else to practise skating skills (no stick or puck or anything) and to get to Altrincham for me it takes an hour and a half on the train so don't want to go there if it is very busy where I'll end up having to skate in circles with everyone else.

Thanks.

Leif

Re: Altrincham Ice Rink
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:01:46 pm »
I can’t help you with the rink, but for hockey I recommend you get a shooting pad to practise shots, and a full size goal if you can afford it, or some targets to shoot at. Inline skates provide one way to practise stick handling off ice.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:11 pm »
Inlines a good suggestion if you have somewhere to go

I'm afraid I don't know about that rink but do know that while a lot of us prefer empty rinks they can be hard to come by so finding approaches to enjoy/have productive sessions in busier rinks will stand you in good stead in the long run.  Some are better than others at it.  I used to hate busy patch sessions, others managed to stay focused in them both on what they were doing and sufficiently on what others were doing to not cause incidents.  It's a skill that can probably be developed.

Greycut

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:44 pm »
Yes evening sessions are far busier.  Probably the quietest times are afternoons after 2:00. Note that mornings are taken by Manchester Storm training up till 12:00 and then figure skating lessons on public  ice tend to be between 12:00 to 2:00.

They do a hockey excellence skate course no idea when it runs.  I can ask for times and days for this if you want next time I'm there, if you're interested.

Wednesday evening is cheap skate and tends to be a mostly hockey style skaters but can be very busy.

Remember to sign up for the Icecard as the reduces the session prices.  It does cost £8-00 per annum but saves you £2-20 each time you go.  Note the prices they post on their website are based on you having an ice card and they will charge you £2:20 extra if you don't have one.

Greycut

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »
Worth mentioning that the Widnes and Blackburn rinks also have a morning session and don't seem to be as busy.  Not sure where your travelling from, but these may be a good alternative to try.  They are both planet ice rinks so you can use the same ice card in all rinks.

Widnes is a smaller rink and Blackburn is larger.

AquaGuy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:24:19 pm »
Yes evening sessions are far busier.  Probably the quietest times are afternoons after 2:00. Note that mornings are taken by Manchester Storm training up till 12:00 and then figure skating lessons on public  ice tend to be between 12:00 to 2:00.

They do a hockey excellence skate course no idea when it runs.  I can ask for times and days for this if you want next time I'm there, if you're interested.

Wednesday evening is cheap skate and tends to be a mostly hockey style skaters but can be very busy.

Remember to sign up for the Icecard as the reduces the session prices.  It does cost £8-00 per annum but saves you £2-20 each time you go.  Note the prices they post on their website are based on you having an ice card and they will charge you £2:20 extra if you don't have one.

Thanks, sorry about the late reply.  I have recently bought an ice card because it's expensive enough, and recently bought some skates so no more rentals either.

And don't worry about asking, I've found an Ice Hockey Basics course so will probably do that soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy