Author Topic: Depth of hollow  (Read 1496 times)

Leif

Depth of hollow
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:18 pm »
I have skated on 7/16” most of this year, as I was previously sliding sideways on 1/2”. As I’ve developed better edge control from taking lessons, I thought I’d try 1/2” this evening. It went well, I had just as much control, but it seemed to be a bit less effort as the edges dig in less, and maybe I had less tendency to catch an edge. So I think I will stick with it, until the ice gets hard, then I might go back down. I’m about 11 stone 7 pounds, so not heavy. They say shallow hollows wear more slowly too, as the edges are less narrow.

Leif

Re: Depth of hollow
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:24:07 pm »
And here is a question for the figure skaters among you. Is a shallow hollow faster? Or to put it another way, if you skate as fast as you can, are you faster on a shallow hollow? I don’t doubt it requires less effort for a given speed.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:55:09 am »
Not a clue!  I honestly have no idea about depth of hollow regarding speed or anything else.  I just know whether I like my blades or not following a regrind...

<slinks away wondering whether to be ashamed or not>
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:02:10 pm by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:05:53 pm »
Not a clue!  I honestly have no idea about depth of hollow regarding speed or anything else.  I just know whether I like my blades or not following a regrind...

<slinks away wondering whether to ashamed or not>

No need for shame, I suspect you don't often have to race someone to collect a stray puck, or sprint towards the opposition goal while carrying a puck.  :o

As an aside, I recall being at Gosport rink, and being totally gobsmacked at how fast a figure skater was going while doing forwards crossovers in a circle. You people really do leg it round the rink.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:20:47 pm »
My understanding is that flat grinds are faster as they stick into the ice less, and on the occasion I have had a deeper than usual grind I would agree.  I have no idea what depth Rod Turner does mine to - he's been doing them for years and they always feel the same.  If he ever stops I will just have to tell whoever takes over to do them like they were before...

Carrie

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 02:46:30 pm »
I had 7/16 for some years but found it gradually became hard to skate.  Last few years I have 1/2 inch as my speed is ‘tortoise’ unless dancing with my coach. 
I was freezing cold at the rink yesterday and someone said to skate faster. That’s not an option now so will invest in some thermal clothing!

black

• Skate free
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:38:33 pm »
This is a bit random / off topic but I'd thought I'd mention about silver being an excellent reflector of body heat.

Scleroderma & Raynaud's UK charity have an online shop here -> https://srukshop.co.uk/

(I've not used their products; no endorsement intended)
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:56 pm »
I was freezing cold at the rink yesterday and someone said to skate faster. That’s not an option now so will invest in some thermal clothing!

Fleece-lined leggings are the best!  ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 01:04:23 pm »
Thanks all, glad to hear it's not just my imagination that thinks a deeper hollow is harder work. I guess that explains why speed skaters have no hollow at all, it will give them the maximum glide speed.

Carrie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:33:15 pm »
Thanks Black and Wednesday March for suggestions for keeping warm.  We are all noticing it’s much colder at the rink and it could be down to the fact that the Flames are practising every afternoon, except Monday, at 230 pm.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:57 pm »
Ah.  Temperature turned down for harder ice.  Not fun.   :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy