Author Topic: New Ice Training Centre in Thatcham: open day  (Read 1866 times)

Leif

New Ice Training Centre in Thatcham: open day
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »
I can't remember if I have mentioned this before.

There is a new training centre for ice sports opening in Thatcham. The open day is tomorrow from 10 am till ~6 pm. It might extend over to Sunday, I'm not sure. Details are unclear but my understanding is that tomorrow it is free to look around and try out the ice and other training facilities. They have artificial ice for hockey shooting practice, and a mini ice rink for on ice training including hockey, para hockey and figure skating. The mini rink is not big, but it's more than big enough for teaching figure skating, and even for fun hockey scrimmages.

https://icesportscentre.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/IceSportsCentreLTD/

Needless to say I have no financial/business connection with them.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: New Ice Training Centre in Thatcham: open day
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:41:38 am »
Oooh, that's interesting.  Very interesting...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 04:50:51 pm »
I was allowed an hour on ice today, and took a stick and puck on once the figure skater had gone (obviously for safety reasons) and did some passing and shooting practice. It’s very nice, if anyone in the area wants hockey/figure skating tuition, check it out.

A bit far from Plymouth though ... as are most things it seems ...  :) But you have a shiny new rink coming ... 🏒⛸ 🙂

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 06:16:50 pm »
A bit far from Plymouth though ... as are most things it seems ...  :) But you have a shiny new rink coming ... 🏒⛸ 🙂

Ahahahahahah.  You're so funny...  :-\
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »
A new Plymouth ice rink is being built this year is it not? Basingstoke rink management released the survey, it was done at the start of this year, and said the rink has 12-18 months left. They haven’t even agreed on a site for a temporary rink, which will take a year to erect. The new leisure park is ten+ years away, with no decision on whether or not to include a rink, just vacuous politicians statements. It looks like it will be a shopping ‘village’.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 10:29:56 pm »
A new Plymouth ice rink is being built this year is it not? Basingstoke rink management released the survey, it was done at the start of this year, and said the rink has 12-18 months left. They haven’t even agreed on a site for a temporary rink, which will take a year to erect. The new leisure park is ten+ years away, with no decision on whether or not to include a rink, just vacuous politicians statements. It looks like it will be a shopping ‘village’.

I feel your pain, Leif...

The new Plymouth rink was supposed to open at the end of 2018.  It didn't.  Nothing had even started.  And then the big boards with the plans, etc, on them quietly disappeared.  When questioned, one of the staff at the current rink told me that apparently there had been a change in plans and they'd had to be resubmitted for Planning Permission.  When I asked a more senior member of staff a few weeks ago, she said that they'd been told that "the new rink is to be finished in time for the Mayflower 400 celebrations next year".  Now, as these actually start in November 2019, ie this year, and finished in November 2020, I'm suspecting that it'll be nearer the latter date, if it happens at all.  I'm afraid I have very little faith in anything to do with that rink.  Or with the provision of new rinks to replace old ones in general, as both Southampton and Richmond rinks were to have replacements and neither were built.  There was a covenant on the land on which the old Southampton rink was built which stated that if it was pulled down, the land could only be used for residential development if another rink was built within the city.  The old rink was closed in 1988 and the skating club are still fighting to get a new one.  I remember seeing the plans for the housing that was to be built in place of the old Richmond rink and for the new rink to be built somewhere in Richmond Park (from what I recall, anyway) but that never happened either.  Lots of housing, no rink.  Now, the company who want to redevelop the Pavilions site, where the current rink is in Plymouth, have been told that they can't do anything until they've built another rink.  The current rink is not in a good state and the ice is frequently dangerously rutted but they "can't do a proper resurface because the ice level is too thick" or the resurfacing machine is broken or a myriad other "reasons".  There are no changing facilities, no cafe, everything is run down and worn out.  Last year we were forever skating around a big upturned waste bin covering a large hole in the ice (the rain would pour in an melt it).  It's not good.  Most of the staff are absolutely lovely but it's still not a good rink.  And attendance suffers accordingly.  If there was anywhere else to skate, I wouldn't bother with it.  In the winter, I skate at Eden on the temporary rink as much as I can.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 10:10:29 am »
I was allowed an hour on ice today, and took a stick and puck on once the figure skater had gone (obviously for safety reasons) and did some passing and shooting practice. It’s very nice, if anyone in the area wants hockey/figure skating tuition, check it out.

How big are the pads? It's got real ice pad, and a polymer type one right?
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:42:35 pm »
Sorry WednesdayMarch.

How big are the pads? It's got real ice pad, and a polymer type one right?

There is a mini ice rink, it’s big enough for teaching figure skating, and hockey. Today I did two hockey clinics, and I had no problem practising passing and shooting. I was told they can have two skating coaches and two pupils on at the same time. Obviously there are limitations compared to a full size rink, but I reckon it’s fine for teaching. Maybe there are figure skating elements you can’t practise, but you’d need to ask a figure skater. You can do initial classes without registering, well worth it in my opinion.

The glice (artificial ice) is used for the shooting practice, so hockey only I think.

Incidentally, I’ve had problems for ages with my right foot slipping when doing clockwise crossovers. Turns out the issue is that my left foot uses the heel too much, which messes up the right foot. I will with luck correct that fault, and use the main central area. And improve my stride mechanics too.

Leif

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 09:47:44 pm »
The new Plymouth rink was supposed to open at the end of 2018.  It didn't.  Nothing had even started.  And then the big boards with the plans, etc, on them quietly disappeared.  When questioned, one of the staff at the current rink told me that apparently there had been a change in plans and they'd had to be resubmitted for Planning Permission.  When I asked a more senior member of staff a few weeks ago, she said that they'd been told that "the new rink is to be finished in time for the Mayflower 400 celebrations next year".  Now, as these actually start in November 2019, ie this year, and finished in November 2020, I'm suspecting that it'll be nearer the latter date, if it happens at all.  I'm afraid I have very little faith in anything to do with that rink.  Or with the provision of new rinks to replace old ones in general, as both Southampton and Richmond rinks were to have replacements and neither were built.  There was a covenant on the land on which the old Southampton rink was built which stated that if it was pulled down, the land could only be used for residential development if another rink was built within the city.  The old rink was closed in 1988 and the skating club are still fighting to get a new one.  I remember seeing the plans for the housing that was to be built in place of the old Richmond rink and for the new rink to be built somewhere in Richmond Park (from what I recall, anyway) but that never happened either.  Lots of housing, no rink.  Now, the company who want to redevelop the Pavilions site, where the current rink is in Plymouth, have been told that they can't do anything until they've built another rink.  The current rink is not in a good state and the ice is frequently dangerously rutted but they "can't do a proper resurface because the ice level is too thick" or the resurfacing machine is broken or a myriad other "reasons".  There are no changing facilities, no cafe, everything is run down and worn out.  Last year we were forever skating around a big upturned waste bin covering a large hole in the ice (the rain would pour in an melt it).  It's not good.  Most of the staff are absolutely lovely but it's still not a good rink.  And attendance suffers accordingly.  If there was anywhere else to skate, I wouldn't bother with it.  In the winter, I skate at Eden on the temporary rink as much as I can.

Fingers crossed, miracles do happen. My late mother lived in Brixham, and I skated in Plymouth a few times, over 15 years ago. I was a poor skater, but the rink did seem small but okay back then. Rinks don’t seem to age well for whatever reason. Do you have a vocal user group? Ours is very vocal, and we are trying our best to cajole the council into erecting a temporary rink, and including a permanent one in the development plans.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:00:48 pm »
Ice pad is 15 x 12 metres.

For perspective; full size rink is about 60 x 30 metres - so just under 1/8th the size; and a hockey circle is 9 metres in diameter.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy