Author Topic: Skate Excellence terms - help  (Read 145 times)

brightblade

Skate Excellence terms - help
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
Hi,
I'm a beginner adult skater about 5 weeks into my lessons at a Planet Ice rink doing the Skate Excellence course. Looking at the Grade 2 curriculum to see what I need to work on to pass I'm baffled by the terms 'star leg lifts' and ' Star'. What on earth does this actually refer to?
My main coach for my current group sessions is, honestly, not great and I've gotten more input on a few basic skills (how to perform forward and backwards 'lemons' and how to actually do a snowplough and T stop) off youtube videos but trying to find anything on this particular thing is drawing blanks because apparently the term isn't used anywhere else.
Are there any other terms for these positions? Or any tips on how to perform/improve them? Thank you!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: Skate Excellence terms - help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
The terms are baffling - I did Skate UK but occasionally my coach will revisit and use Skate Excellence stuff to help with technique.
Half star is one I do know: glide along on 2 feet, with your feet about shoulder width apart. Gently start to bend one knee and transfer your weight on to that leg. Hold it for a bit then come back to neutral position. Make sure to practice both sides :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Finished Skate UK: 29/11/2018
Inclusive Skater :)

brightblade

Re: Skate Excellence terms - help
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »
The terms are baffling - I did Skate UK but occasionally my coach will revisit and use Skate Excellence stuff to help with technique.
Half star is one I do know: glide along on 2 feet, with your feet about shoulder width apart. Gently start to bend one knee and transfer your weight on to that leg. Hold it for a bit then come back to neutral position. Make sure to practice both sides :)

Oh, RIP. We have started doing a few of those in classes and...well...My instructor has a tendency to model things but give not a lot of instruction on how to do it or what the expectations are for our level and also to rush ahead without really seeing if we are able to do the thing. My knees are still on the stiff side and I can't get very low in attempts but he still has us going from the 1/2 star position into a 1 foot glide or alternating side even though most of the class are struggling to get the position decently in the first place. :/

Oh well, guess what I'm working on this weekend.