Author Topic: Anyone ever flown with their skates?  (Read 716 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Anyone ever flown with their skates?
« on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:31 am »
So, I'm attending a competition abroad this year, and I've rea I've no idea of the rules around taking my skates. I know they have to go in the hold, but do I need to do anything else? Do I take them in my suitcase, or check my Zuca in and then take a hand luggage sized bag to use as a skate bag? Do I have to tell the airline I'll be flying with skates?
I'm going to be a wreck until my bag comes along on the carousel, that's all I know - I don't like the idea of my skates being in the hands of the airline, but I understand why they have to go in the hold.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Anyone ever flown with their skates?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:42:20 am »
We (me & wife & 2 daughters) just put them in the suitcase, well wrapped.  They were all fine.  Have flown with them to Europe many times, and to U.S.  Never had a problem.  Flown many times with rollerblades too.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Anyone ever flown with their skates?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 10:05:47 pm »
I've flown with skates before.  Always put them in my suitcase and never had a problem.  It didn't matter too much when I was at school, but when I went abroad to skate in exhibitions or competitions, then I'd fret a bit about the potential for them being lost.  Happily, it never happened.

I'm off to Montreal next year and I think I will be trusting an airline with them in my checked baggage, although having done some research, I may well ask the airline whether I need to do that or whether they'll be allowed in my carry-on case.  I tend to travel quite light (touring as a musician taught me that!) so I'd have no trouble packing all I need and my skates in my usual flight case.

If your airline insists you check them, put them in your suitcase but take a wheeled flight case as your carry on bag, then you can use that to transport your skates and gear to the rink.  I don't think a Zuca is small enough to go into an overhead locker, so I'd leave that at home.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy