Author Topic: Edea Ice Flys - Fitting Advice  (Read 3800 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Edea Ice Flys - Fitting Advice
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 02:55:16 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the information.
I am not aware of any figure skate shops in the U.K. that offer this service.
I would just be happy if the people who design lasts for figure boots stopped all this pointy footed nonsense and fell into line with every other sports footwear manufacturer and made boots shaped like people’s feet.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 03:32:43 pm »
I would just be happy if the people who design lasts for figure boots stopped all this pointy footed nonsense and fell into line with every other sports footwear manufacturer and made boots shaped like people’s feet.

I have pointy feet* but I look at the Edeas and Risports and think, "Ouch!"  I'll never understand why boots are made shaped like that.  Surely they know that skaters spend hours in them and NEED to be comfortable?!

*  It's a congenital thing.  Apparently ran in the Russian Royal family, as there are photographs of the Grand Duchess Anastasia's feet and they look exactly like mine.  (Well, when mine weren't 102.)  I still need wide fitting boots.  ::) 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the information.
I am not aware of any figure skate shops in the U.K. that offer this service.

That is odd. I suppose it is possible that most skates sold are hockeys, but on our Tuesday session there are plenty of figures about. You’d thnk they would account for a range of foot shapes, from Neanderthal to duck, via Cornish pasty. I suspect there is more money in the hockey world, as we buy sticks, gloves, knee pads and so on.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 04:01:48 am »
I think figure and hockey skating are both very much niche sports in the U.K.
Maybe the difference is that figure skating is as much a performing art as it is a sport and much store is set by appearance- and pointy shoes are somehow considered more elegant and stylish than duck bill shaped ones.
I see many office workers on my daily commute wearing shoes with triangular tips.

josydavinia

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 03:40:03 pm »
Thanks guys!

I've booked an appointment with my local rink to get a consultation on ice flies. Stupidly excited :D

spinZZ

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 03:45:30 am »
Skaters bear at least part of the blame.  Many moons ago, I had a discussion on the topic of more functional boot designs with one of the top skate techs in my area.  He told me that one company had released boots with a square toe.  But skaters thought they were ugly, and the company dropped the line after a year of poor sales.

Jackson has well-rounded toes that are more functional than pointed toes.  Yet many skaters (especially young girls who make up a large share of the market) look at them and say, "Yuck!  They look so clunky."  They won't even try them on to see whether they're the proper fit.  Meanwhile, they drool over Ice Flys because they're so cool, and insist on buying them, even if they're not the proper fit.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:49:11 am by spinZZ »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 06:48:03 am »
Those are very interesting snippets - thanks for sharing.

This skater would LOVE to buy clunky looking skates if only he could find a shop that stocked skates around his size to try on.  I've not found one yet.  I'm a size 9 man, and there are simply not enough of us wanting to buy figure boots above entry level for shops to justify stocking them.  So the search continues.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 08:34:43 am »
This skater would LOVE to buy clunky looking skates if only he could find a shop that stocked skates around his size to try on.  I've not found one yet.  I'm a size 9 man, and there are simply not enough of us wanting to buy figure boots above entry level for shops to justify stocking them.  So the search continues.

Have you tried Graf boots?  Graf Dance in the wide (L) fitting are the most comfortable I've ever had and I can wiggle my toes with ease.  I bought mine on eBay!  I could send them back if they didn't fit but - happily - they did.  And they were an absolute bargain at £110...

As to those girls who look at the Jacksons and think they're "clunky", it's what you do with your feet as you skate that makes them look elegant or not.  If you don't point 'em, any boot will look clunky.  (And don't get me started on Piano.  They look like the plastic ones made for Barbie dolls.  Hideous.)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 08:45:42 am »
Have not tried Graf Dance, no. My daughter has Edmonton’s and they certainly are a beautifully made boot. I jump, only singles - do you think Graf dance would be suitable?
Agree about Piano- they look cheap and nasty though obviously are neither.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:04 am »
Have not tried Graf Dance, no. My daughter has Edmonton’s and they certainly are a beautifully made boot. I jump, only singles - do you think Graf dance would be suitable?
Agree about Piano- they look cheap and nasty though obviously are neither.

I don't know about jumping really.  I did do some three/walz jumps in them the other day and didn't die (also wearing MK Dance blades) but I haven't jumped in decades.  They are very low boots, to the sides as well as the back.  I think Graf make boots with a healthier/wider toe box anyway, so you could try Edmontons or the other standard styles in the L fitting...

The slightly cynical part of me wonders if the Edea Ice Flies and Pianos are seen on so many top skaters because they are given them and provided with new ones every time they break down.  I used to go through a pair of SP-Teri Super Teri Deluxe a season as a dancer and they were seriously strong boots.  I honestly can't see the Edeas lasting well and the price of replacing them is huge.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:46:04 pm by WednesdayMarch »

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:25 am »
My Edea Chorus have been pretty hard wearing but the materials are possibly different to Fly and Piano.
I will keep a lookout for Edmontons in my size. Graf gave my daughter very good after sales service so I quite like them as a company.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy