Author Topic: Edea Ice Flys - Fitting Advice  (Read 3796 times)

josydavinia

Edea Ice Flys - Fitting Advice
« on: June 14, 2019, 02:07:31 pm »
Hiya!

I'm looking to invest in a pair of Edea Ice Flys. If you've read my other posts, you know that I'm a low level and so you may be confused! In short, I've worked out that these will cost me a minimum of £500 with the blades I want and so it'll take me probably a year and a half to save for these with my current financial situation. In this time, I will have significantly improved in skating (I hope!!) and be at a point where I am beginning to need a higher level boot. I'm also a sucker for the design of Ice Flys and love the way they look, contrary to popular opinion!

I have measured my foot using the foot drawing method that Edea suggest on their website and allowed for 5mm of "wiggle room" and it's coming out that my foot is 245mm long and so this is a junior size but I wear a size 5.5/6 in regular shoes. How do Edea boots fit? I know that they are slightly wider than other brands but I'm worried that if I were to make the width smaller due to sizing down on boots, they'd be too tight and pinch my feet? My current Graf 500s are prone to doing this and I bought them in a size 6. On the other hand, I really don't like the idea of paying a lot more due to taxes added on once they're in adult sizes!

If anyone has any advice that would be great.

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Edea Ice Flys - Fitting Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:57:10 pm »
My advice - don't spend £500 on boots without trying them on first.
I believe all Edea boots are built on the same last so if push comes to shove you could try on some cheaper models for size that are liklely to be stock boots in a shop and get them to order the Flys - though I suspect the tongue and padding in Flys might be slightly different so ideally you would want to try them on.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding boots for myself.  There are very few shops that stock my size (9) in anything above entry level and no-one wants to order stuff in without a guarantee they are going to sell it.  I appreciate shops don't want stock they can't sell but I think the manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers need to come up with a business model that allows people to be able to buy technically correct footwear with confidence.  I'm pretty fed up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:01:21 pm by transmissionoftheflame »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:31 pm »
Edea Overture come in different width fittings, surely Ice Fly must do the same?  You really can't beat having boots fitted properly, or at least being able to try before committing to buy.  And don't be seduced by the look of a boot or the allure of having "the same boots" as your favourite figure skater.  What you really need to do is buy the best boot for you and your skating, or you risk wasting a lot of money and possibly falling out of love with skating.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:10 am »
As said above, they must fit your feet. It’s not just length and width. I have duck’s feet, with narrow heels, a thin forefoot, and wide at the front. Some people have thick ankles, and feet that are narrow at the front, so they are shaped like pasties. Most hockey skate makers have two or three models to allow for this. It will be the same for 🏒 and ⛸.

Get the wrong model, and your toes might be in agony, or your heels might not be locked in place.

Some makers scan feet:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/

Those beautiful specimens are mine.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:57:27 am »
Edea Overture come in different width fittings, surely Ice Fly must do the same?  You really can't beat having boots fitted properly, or at least being able to try before committing to buy.  And don't be seduced by the look of a boot or the allure of having "the same boots" as your favourite figure skater.  What you really need to do is buy the best boot for you and your skating, or you risk wasting a lot of money and possibly falling out of love with skating.

Totally agree.  And indeed Edeas do come in different width fittings - I know someone who has some non-standard width Edeas.  HOWEVER good luck finding a shop in the UK that stocks anything other than standard width or is prepared to order them in without taking your money first.  I doubt you'll find anywhere.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 08:00:46 am »
As said above, they must fit your feet. It’s not just length and width. I have duck’s feet, with narrow heels, a thin forefoot, and wide at the front. Some people have thick ankles, and feet that are narrow at the front, so they are shaped like pasties. Most hockey skate makers have two or three models to allow for this. It will be the same for 🏒 and ⛸.

Get the wrong model, and your toes might be in agony, or your heels might not be locked in place.

Some makers scan feet:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/

Those beautiful specimens are mine.

The describes my feet and current boot situation perfectly.  Impressed with the scan.  Jackson do that now but again good luck finding a UK dealer with a scanner.  Did you get that done in the UK?  Where?  Do you feel it gave you a better fit?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 08:31:30 am »

Totally agree.  And indeed Edeas do come in different width fittings - I know someone who has some non-standard width Edeas.  HOWEVER good luck finding a shop in the UK that stocks anything other than standard width or is prepared to order them in without taking your money first.  I doubt you'll find anywhere.

Everglides in Gosport ordered in some Overtures in the widest fitting for a friend of mine.  She paid for them up front but on the proviso she could send them back if they didn't fit.  (Happily, they fitted.)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:44:27 am »
Everglides in Gosport ordered in some Overtures in the widest fitting for a friend of mine.  She paid for them up front but on the proviso she could send them back if they didn't fit.  (Happily, they fitted.)

That's good to know.  Point in their favour.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 08:53:55 am »

That's good to know.  Point in their favour.

I don't know how willing they'd be to do that with an expensive boot, though!  They were not helpful when I approached them about trying Graf and Risport dance boots and tried to fob me off with Edea Overture or Risport Electra Lite! 

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:07 am »
I don't know how willing they'd be to do that with an expensive boot, though!  They were not helpful when I approached them about trying Graf and Risport dance boots and tried to fob me off with Edea Overture or Risport Electra Lite!

Indeed.

Leif

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 02:19:58 pm »

The describes my feet and current boot situation perfectly.  Impressed with the scan.  Jackson do that now but again good luck finding a UK dealer with a scanner.  Did you get that done in the UK?  Where?  Do you feel it gave you a better fit?

As far as I know this is only for hockey skates. I had my scan for custom boots, but the scan can also recommend which model, size and width stock boot fits best. You then try a couple of models and sizes to confirm. Bauer do scans, CCM do scans but you place your foot on a glass platform and some say the foot does not spread out correctly. True also do scans, but they only do custom boots.

I have custom boots and they are incredible. But I wore tight socks when scanned, you are supposed to be bare foot, and my boots are a bit tight at the toes, and the join between the toe cap and the quarter package rubs against my toes. Of couse it might be a design fault for duck feeters, and we need a larger toe cap than normal. They have now worn in, and they are brilliant. I know several others with them, and they say they are very comfy. I used to get lace bite from my old boots, not from these, they get more comfy the longer I am on the ice. Unlike my muscles and joints.

Someone could always do a Bauer scan to see what their feet look like, assuming a figure skate shop had the machine, most won’t.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy