Author Topic: i got new skates : HELP  (Read 1346 times)

white.boots

i got new skates : HELP
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:19:06 pm »
so over the weekend i got new skates and my feet died. THEY DIED . :P
it hurt like hell and i felt like a beginner learning how to skate forwards . right now i am meant to be in skate stars silver but my coach said to stay in bronze just till i break in my new skates. do you guys have any advise on how to break in quicker as i feel like im getting nowhere .
thnx alot ;)
white boots

transmissionoftheflame

Re: i got new skates : HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:03:33 pm »
I'm sure others will offer practical advice but my advice is that things are not as bad as they seem and you'll be fine - might take a few weeks which probably seems like an eternity to you now but in your long skating life is a brief interlude.

My practical advice is to skate as often as you can, and bend your knees and ankles loads.  Also some people leave the top lace undone for a while.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:05:15 pm »
do you guys have any advise on how to break in quicker as i feel like im getting nowhere .

Yes.  Be patient.

Seriously, unless you've gone for exactly the same make, model and size as your previous boots, you're going to have to toughen up a lot of different areas, some of which may well get rubbed raw if you don't get a gel pad or plaster on them in time.  Be prepared for discomfort for a while.  You'll get used to them.  And make the most of the chance to recap your bronze level.  It'll make you a stronger skater for the next one.  :)

There's only one thing worse than breaking in brand new boots and that's having to skate in old, broken down ones.  ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:17:37 am »
Totally agree with Wednesday, unfortunately it's one of the things in skating you have to get used to - but the payoff when you get through that initial break in stage is worth it.
What boots have you got, and what did you have before? Have you changed blades too?

When I got my current boots, back in August, my main coach warned me that the first month or so "is like having a brand new TV that you love, that punches you in the face every time you use it." What he meant was, I'd love skating in my new boots, but it'd be a a bit of a love hate thing for a while. He was right, but it did get better.
Hang in there, it'll get better, abs it'll be worth it :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

white.boots

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47:25 am »
Thnx guys for the replies ❤️
I used to have unbranded skates that were really bad, so I now have belati skates iris and mk blades .

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:24:01 am »
Thnx guys for the replies ❤️
I used to have unbranded skates that were really bad, so I now have belati skates iris and mk blades .

Well, they shouldn't take too long to break in.  Enjoy the improvement they make to your skating.   8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:21 am »
I bled into the lining of my first pair of boots with all the chafing I had when I got them, PUSH THROUGH THE PAIN.

My second pair there was no bleeding, but they were so tight my big toe and heels would go numb after 30 mins of skating - it's no longer a problem, but I do wonder if I should've been half a size up.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:13 am »
Some boots (usually ones made of leather only) can be heat moulded in an electric oven - check the instructions.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:47 am »
Some boots (usually ones made of leather only) can be heat moulded in an electric oven - check the instructions.

Belati Iris aren't made of leather but do check the instructions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy