Author Topic: Summer ice maintenance  (Read 2378 times)

Crackers

Re: Summer ice maintenance
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:17:26 pm »
End of Week 2 - Swindon Ice Pad Replacement

Crackers

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 10:28:02 pm »
Week 3 - Swindon Ice Pad Replacement Project
They are on schedule for reopening on Saturday 13/07 and booking has reopened on the website.
2 Saturday morning patches booked for 2 skaters eager to get back to their training and hoping to be one of the first on the new ice.

Crackers

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:12 pm »
Well I'm impressed, a civil project that looks like it will be finished on time!
Swindon's ice pad is going to re-open on 13th as planned.  I've seen the new ice myself and it looks good.

There is a special offer on opening weekend, all public skate sessions are £5 including skate hire.

Crackers

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:04 pm »
Swindon is open again, and my 2 were in the first group of 6 skaters on.
However it was an interesting moment when the first person stepped on the ice in skates at 5:45am on Saturday morning!

Like a fork of lightning the ice cracked  :o

For a while no one knew if it was ok to skate on.  However after a call to the manager it was determined that this was expected and that the Zamboni had been run around the pad the night before so it was ok. Apparently Ice pads crack when used for the first time.  For the most it didn't seem to affect the skaters although my son said that his spins were affected when his toe pick caught a crack.

There are still a few things going on with the ice thickness is being increased over nights (which also smooths the ice again) and it is a bit misty in the mornings as the HVAC unit is not on line yet (portable dehumidifiers are in use).
But credit must be given to the project team in re-opening the pad on time.
Well done Better Swindon Link.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy