Author Topic: Summer ice maintenance  (Read 2376 times)

black

• Skate free
Summer ice maintenance
« on: June 02, 2019, 05:10:17 pm »
Just a heads up that Guildford is getting a new pad this coming week; http://www.guildfordspectrum.co.uk/news/2019/05/14/ice-closures/

Also Swindon's pad is scheduled to be redone at the end of the June.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

Re: Summer ice maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:09:05 pm »
Not a new car pad surely, just melting the ice, and reflooding and painting markings. I was busy doing landscaping today and planned to skate at Guildford tonight, sigh.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »
I so wish Plymouth would do this.  All we hear is, "Oh, we can't do a proper resurface because the ice is too thick, so we can only scrape the snow off the top..."
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Crackers

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 11:16:08 pm »
Just a heads up that Guildford is getting a new pad this coming week; http://www.guildfordspectrum.co.uk/news/2019/05/14/ice-closures/

Also Swindon's pad is scheduled to be redone at the end of the June.

So a notice appeared this week confirming the Swindon rink closure for "essential maintenance & replacement of the ice pad the rink will be closed from Monday 24th June to Monday 8th July 2019"
I have attached a copy of the notice to this post for information.
they advise following their Facebook & Twitter to keep up to date with the works.
Hope this info is useful.
(also need to work on my picture editing.....)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:18:30 pm by Crackers »

Crackers

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:19:31 pm »
So a notice appeared this week confirming the Swindon rink closure for "essential maintenance & replacement of the ice pad the rink will be closed from Monday 24th June to Monday 8th July 2019"
I have attached a copy of the notice to this post for information.
they advise following their Facebook & Twitter to keep up to date with the works.
Hope this info is useful.
(also need to work on my picture editing.....)
Update: Swindon closed dates are now from Monday 24/06/2019 until Saturday 13/07/2019 as they have also secured funding to have the HVAC chiller replaced "reducing our carbon footprint and making us more energy efficient".

Looks like the driver is now taking the skaters to Oxford for the Saturday morning patches whilst Swindon is closed (so only a little lie in, up at 5.30 am instead of 4 am) and so lucky to be midway between 2 ice rinks so they can keep skating.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:24:36 am »
Looks like the driver is now taking the skaters to Oxford for the Saturday morning patches whilst Swindon is closed (so only a little lie in, up at 5.30 am instead of 4 am) and so lucky to be midway between 2 ice rinks so they can keep skating.

I used to skate at Oxford. I never went to the Saturday morning patches, but I always got the impression from the eager young skaters that the morning sessions were pretty busy - good luck!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

josydavinia

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:39:09 pm »
I so wish Plymouth would do this.  All we hear is, "Oh, we can't do a proper resurface because the ice is too thick, so we can only scrape the snow off the top..."

Gillingham is the same! They haven't even painted the walls in the 21 years that my sister and I have been skating there. Our ice is always bumpy because they don't resurface before patch and the ceiling sweats in the night. :(

Crackers

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:46:37 pm »
Gillingham is the same! They haven't even painted the walls in the 21 years that my sister and I have been skating there. Our ice is always bumpy because they don't resurface before patch and the ceiling sweats in the night. :(
The big feature window at Gillingham doesn't help.  if i remember correctly on a sunny day one end of the pad gets very wet.
slightly off topic - I remember when the Gillingham rink "The Ice Bowl" was built on the site of the old B&Q next to the Bowaters roundabout. I only skated occasionally for recreation, but my brother marshalled there for a while.

josydavinia

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:32:21 am »
Yep - lots and lots of puddles at either hockey goal end on a warm day.
I can't imagine the ice bowl has actually changed much since 1984 - only a slight rejig upstairs and a new layout but still the same old rink it was back then!

black

• Skate free
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 07:48:43 am »
Back when Hemel Hempstead's chiller wasn't so reliable, they used to boast that they had the 'freshest' ice in the country!
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Crackers

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 11:09:19 pm »
Back when Hemel Hempstead's chiller wasn't so reliable, they used to boast that they had the 'freshest' ice in the country!
Swindon is melting!  Well the ice pad is anyway.
Here is a screenshot of Better Swindon's Facebook post on 28/06/2019
Interesting that it has taken a week to nearly for the pad to melt and I didn't know that there was a bed of sand under the ice.
Hopefully still on schedule for opening on 13th July.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy