Author Topic: Cambridge ice rink  (Read 2391 times)

black

• Skate free
Cambridge ice rink
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:44:16 am »
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Cambridge ice rink
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:17:44 am »
A few problems - 194 grenades?!  ;D

More than a little envious here.  Our new rink in Plymouth was due to open at the end of 2018.  Still not started.  Although it's apparently now going to be open by the Mayflower 400 celebrations next year...  (I will not be holding my breath!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 04:16:49 pm »
I'm still unsure if Leeds ice rink ever actually finished being built*, so I'm quite glad my study slot in Leeds fell through and I ended up in Sheffield instead!

* I just took a look and apparently it's still suffering from delays ::)
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:28:26 pm »
I'm suspecting that the birth of a new ice rink is always difficult.  Especially in this country.  You wouldn't believe how long it's taking them to build a small Costa down on the edge of our local town.  I could lay breeze blocks faster than that...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

physichull

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 05:13:44 pm »
I'm still unsure if Leeds ice rink ever actually finished being built*, so I'm quite glad my study slot in Leeds fell through and I ended up in Sheffield instead!

* I just took a look and apparently it's still suffering from delays ::)

Heard they were looking for hockey players for their team recently so I guess it will be soon.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:20:34 pm »
Heard they were looking for hockey players for their team recently so I guess it will be soon.

Wouldn't it be good if they televised the Oxford vs Cambridge ice hockey match, like they do the boat race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Hockey_Varsity_Match

It might help encourage some new skaters, and get more ice hockey broadcast.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:13 pm »

Wouldn't it be good if they televised the Oxford vs Cambridge ice hockey match, like they do the boat race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Hockey_Varsity_Match

It might help encourage some new skaters, and get more ice hockey broadcast.

I agree with you, anything to get ice rinks more popular would be good. And it would probably be of a decent standard, there are lots of Canadians at Oxbridge. 

As an aside, I trained in a rowing eight for several months with some friends, when I was a PhD student, and our boat almost qualified for the second round despite none of us having ‘boated’ before. It’s hard. And the river was filthy and disease ridden.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:55:12 pm »
I've been waiting for the Cambridge ice rink for quite a while now. Last I heard (Dec 2018), they projected an opening date of end of May 2019. So they're saying now that it will open sometime this summer but I won't hold my breath. When it does open it will be my next nearest ice rink after the really shabby Planet Ice one at Peterborough where I currently go, and I will be trying it out along with probably a load of skaters who have to use Peterborough. What are the chances of a nice shiny new ice rink in Cambridge forcing Planet Ice Peterborough to actually invest some money in upgrading their facilities to stop their patrons defecting? One can only hope.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 06:27:33 pm »
Are all Planet Ice-run rinks shabby?  I know Basingstoke is grim and Gosport isn't what you'd call shiny...

Leif

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:25:16 pm »
Are all Planet Ice-run rinks shabby?  I know Basingstoke is grim and Gosport isn't what you'd call shiny...

Basingstoke is complex, there is an argument that Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council sold a defective rink to PI that led to perma frost destroying the pad. That said, PI don’t seem to have invested much. They bought the lease from BDBC and sold it on at a significant profit to a third party company, much to the annoyance of the council I suspect. The eating facilities are poor, the general state of the place is atrocious. I can’t say it appeals as a place for a nice day out. The ice used to be awful. It’s much better since Colin took over the management,

Gosport seems okay to me, a bit small, but perfectly okay.

PI are run by business men (and they are all men) and not by skating enthusiasts, which is far from ideal. There is a lack of transparency as we have no idea of the amount of money PI take as dividends and salaries. They might be raking in a fortune. Or not. I have heard one of the seniors PI people talk, and he comes across as very hard nosed.

Guildford Spectrum is run by a non profit body. That includes a rink, swimming bath, gyms and other facilities under one roof, which is a far more appealing place for a day or evening out.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:00:03 pm »

Milton Keynes is not at all shabby - it seems in tip-top shape whenever I go, ice looked after well, clean, staff cleaning and working even when it's not busy, polite.

Brixton was pretty decent, for a prefab rink, while it lasted - and actually was in better shape than Streatham is now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy