Author Topic: Hydration and other marketing led voodoo  (Read 1131 times)

Leif

Hydration and other marketing led voodoo
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:05:59 pm »
I’ve always laughed at people who go running in ludicrous lycra, with their pretty little water bottle filled with pathetic overpriced and overhyped sports drinks clutched in their sad little hands. I used to run 10km with no water at all, never needed it. Well as some of you know I recently had severe cramp in my right calf, and although I drink a liter of water during a hockey session, several people including a personal trainer have suggested that I lack salt. And salt loss is known to be associated with cramp. So, a couple of weeks ago I picked up some hydration tablets, which contain various salts including sodium and potassium. I now add one to a bottle of water for hockey, and general skating, but only drink a glassful for the latter.

I am also taking care to drink more water during the day, as I had rather dark and smelly urine, a sign of dehydration.

I used to have restless legs at night making it hard to get to sleep. No longer. And after hockey my legs now feel really good. Of course I still feel exhausted once the adrenaline subsides. So do hydration salts help? Yes they do. Not a scientifically controlled experiment of course, but if you sweat a lot, and your skin ends up salty, then I suggest you try them. I suppose you could add table salt to water, but apparently you need potassium salts as well as sodium.

And on a related note, I have found that stretching and exercising in a gym helps improve balance on ice, significantly in my unscientific view, which rather surprised me given my previously unsporty personality and lifestyle.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Hydration and other marketing led voodoo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:46:12 am »
Ha.  Back when I was training in the early 90s, we all used to laugh at the overpriced and hyped "sports drinks" and were actually told by our coach that water - preferably not fizzy - was the most important thing.  And whenever we had a break, we'd head to the rink cafe and order our favourite "non-carbonated, caffeine sports drink", ie coffee...

I think that the hydration tablets to add the required salts to water are an excellent idea, though, especially if you're experiencing problems with cramps.  And yes, the potassium is very important.

So, when are you signing up for a marathon...?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:46:26 am by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:32:58 pm »
So, when are you signing up for a marathon...?

When the sun rises in the west.

When are you going to the gym?  :o

PS my knees are totally mucked up, the result of ~30 years of cross country running. At one time I was barely able to walk up stairs. The muscles are stronger now but the cartilage is presumably not so good.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:37:25 pm »
When are you going to the gym?  :o

Sometime west of never...?  ;D

I have signed up for a ballet fitness course, though.  Apparently I need a yoga mat.  This isn't boding well...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:23:41 am »
Sometime west of never...?  ;D

I have signed up for a ballet fitness course, though.  Apparently I need a yoga mat.  This isn't boding well...

To be honest most of my gym work is stretching, and could pass for yoga, or even ballet fitness. I have quite tight ligaments and tendons which need stretching to regain suppleness. The advantage of a PT over yoga classes is that I get one on one tuition, and quite often the technique is quite tricky as the idea is to target a specific muscle or muscle group. Get the technique wrong, and it’s pointless. Get it right, and you’re in agony.  Mo pain no gain. :) My neighbour, Sue, did tai chi for years, and that is good too.

You might wish to buy a roller. Not a car, or a hair item, but a cylindrical foam block for self massage, and stretching. When I self massaged my calves with it, my personal trainer was in hysterics as I was in agony. Not quite sure it’s supposed to work like that ...

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:56:31 am »
Get the technique wrong, and it’s pointless. Get it right, and you’re in agony.  Mo pain no gain. :) My neighbour, Sue, did tai chi for years, and that is good too.

You might wish to buy a roller. Not a car, or a hair item, but a cylindrical foam block for self massage, and stretching. When I self massaged my calves with it, my personal trainer was in hysterics as I was in agony. Not quite sure it’s supposed to work like that ...

You're still not really selling it to me, Leif...

I'll see how I do with the ballet fitness thing, which starts on 10th June.  In the meantime, when I get a yoga mat (or alternatively move a massive rug from under my bed downstairs to the sitting room), I have a couple of exercises to be going on with. 

Leif

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:40 pm »
You're still not really selling it to me, Leif...

I'll see how I do with the ballet fitness thing, which starts on 10th June.  In the meantime, when I get a yoga mat (or alternatively move a massive rug from under my bed downstairs to the sitting room), I have a couple of exercises to be going on with.

I guess I’m an engineer at heart and not a marketing wonk. Let us know how the ballet goes, I suspect it will be really helpful. The foam roller is nothing like as bad as I indicated, I had a really painful calf when I used it. It’s actually fine as long as the muscle being massaged isn’t damaged and painful.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 10:16:57 am »

And on a related note, I have found that stretching and exercising in a gym helps improve balance on ice, significantly in my unscientific view, which rather surprised me given my previously unsporty personality and lifestyle.

I do pilates, daily.  I can't imagine being able to skate as I do without it.  I think people who start skating as kids maybe don't need it as much because they develop the muscles required as they go along.  Starting as an adult, unless you are remarkably fit in the right areas (balance, suppleness, core strength) I think you will underachieve because your lack of body control and awareness will hold you back.

Leif

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 09:14:51 pm »

I do pilates, daily.  I can't imagine being able to skate as I do without it.  I think people who start skating as kids maybe don't need it as much because they develop the muscles required as they go along.  Starting as an adult, unless you are remarkably fit in the right areas (balance, suppleness, core strength) I think you will underachieve because your lack of body control and awareness will hold you back.

I’m sure that is very helpful, and I agree with your comments. I wish I’d been sporty when young. I still cannot get anywhere near the spreadeagle.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:03 pm »
I was sporty but didn't skate.  As adults we have some limitations but with passion and patience I believe we can go further than a lot of people think.

I couldn't get near a spreadeagle when I started skating and now mine is pretty decent.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy