Author Topic: Skates Sharpened Correctly?  (Read 263 times)

andymk

Skates Sharpened Correctly?
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »
Hi,

I've completed Level 8 of Planet Ice's skate excellence program and have been having 1 to 1 sessions with a coach weekly, at my last session my coach checked my blades as I was struggling with two feet turns on the rocker. He doesn't think they've been sharpened correctly at the rocker to the toe pick as mine appear to be quite sharp leading to the toe pick. He's said that they should be slightly more gradual curved at that point.

I'm a slow learner and lack co-ordination so it's taking me quite a while to try and get the technique correct!

I've attached a picture that I before work this morning. I'll try and add more when I get home today.

I've got a pair of Graf 500s as they were the only ones in the shop that fitted my size 12 wide feet.

I know that the blades probably need sharpening, since It's been quite a while since they were last done.

Thanks

spinZZ

Re: Skates Sharpened Correctly?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
He doesn't think they've been sharpened correctly at the rocker to the toe pick as mine appear to be quite sharp leading to the toe pick. He's said that they should be slightly more gradual curved at that point.
I need to clarify what you are referring to, since you use the terms "quite sharp" and "more gradual curved".  Are you referring to the sharpness of the edges themselves along the spin rocker, or are you referring to the radius of curvature of the spin rocker?

[If the latter, scale markings on the blade would be helpful.  But before you go to the trouble of taking more photos, let me understand your issue better.]

Also, what blade and blade size do you have?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:37:10 PM by spinZZ »