Author Topic: First Time Buying Skates  (Read 1251 times)

RisingErin

First Time Buying Skates
« on: May 10, 2019, 03:19:57 pm »
I've recently passed Skate Excellence's Grade 1 in Basingstoke and would like to have my own skates before I do Grade 2, but I'm unsure about how you buy skates? Is it like a normal shop where you go in and just pick a pair off the self or do you have to phone ahead and request an appointment?

Also my feet are quite small, size 3 in normal shoes, would there be adult skates that size or would I have to go for children's?

Thanks

WednesdayMarch

Re: First Time Buying Skates
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »
Depends where you intend to go!  If you're going to Everglides in Gosport, I would say it's best to call ahead and make sure they have suitable skates for you to try on.  I don't know where else you would go for skates as the last time I skated in Basingstoke, there was no skate shop there.  That was 20 years ago and may well have changed!

I have size 4 feet (although always used to wear a 3 in skates) and technically I'm wearing a "junior" boot as Graf seem to classify anything under about a UK 5 or 6 as a junior size.  I think that as long as you're not a particularly heavy skater, it won't matter a jot, especially at a beginner level.

Congratulations on passing your Grade 1!  It gets much more enjoyable with your own skates.   :) 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:11:50 am »
As far as I am aware your local options are Basingstoke rink shop, Skate Station at Bisley and Gosport. Of those I think Gosport is the best for figure skates. I think he teaches figures, and she might do too, I know she teaches speed skating. Why not have a chat with the coaches, and better skaters and get their views? People tend to know who is good nearby, and who to avoid.

MarkD

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:52 am »
Of the ones most local to you, as mentioned above, Everglides will be best for figure skates. They mainly carry Jackson, Risport and Edea. For skate fitting I would advise making an appointment, as last time I was there, they have two places they operate from. The rink shop is mainly hockey, and figure operates out of a unit in a business park about a mile away. The latter isn't always open.
You will be looking at a "Junior" boot (which go up to UK size 5) - which is handy as they are 20% cheaper due to no VAT! It otherwise makes no real difference.

The only alternative I could think of would be to get in touch with Rod Turner and arrange to be at one of the rink he visits to do sharpening, like Slough, or I think, Guildford, when he's there. He will probably be around in about 4 weeks time.

RisingErin

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 08:01:40 pm »
I went to Everglides and they were really nice. I now have Edae Overturns in 1 1/2  because my feet were much smaller than I thought. I now just have to practice tying them because the hire skates I've used had clips.

Thank you for all your advice

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:42:53 pm »
I went to Everglides and they were really nice. I now have Edae Overtures in 1 1/2  because my feet were much smaller than I thought.

That sounds about right.  Enjoy your progress!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy