Author Topic: Advice for snowplough\skates  (Read 744 times)

Dan256

Advice for snowplough\skates
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:38:36 am »
Hi, just joined this and honestly I dont really know anything..

My Daughter 10yo has started lessons a few months ago, a few weeks in I bought her some new skates that were sharpened.

Since then shes doing fine and in the 2nd group, I forgot what the lessons are based on. But shes stuck unable to do a snow plough. I've been on the ice with her a few times to try and figure out what she is doing and I can seem to do it fine in hire skates, but she literally cannot push outwards on the edges and its holding her back from progressing.

Could the skates be too sharp or sharpened incorrectly or is she just not getting how to do this? its bothering her that its holding her back now, I dont really know what to do - or if there is anything to do apart from practice?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:27:49 pm by Dan256 »

Leif

Re: Advice for snowplough\skates
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »
I remember learning the snow plough and it was not easy. There are a few tricks that help. Firstly learn a one foot snow plough ie only turn one skate. Do that on each foot in turn. Secondly rotate the foot about the ball, applying less pressure at the rear. And note that the skate blade needs to be at an angle to the vertical, with the bottom of the blade furthest from the skater. Lastly, do not try to stop, but concentrate on turning the foot, and then gliding along in that odd position. Forget about slowing down, just get used to moving one or both feet into a strange position. Once the skater gets the hang of that, they can start to apply downwards pressure on the braking skate.

I've taught several people to brake, and the last point, not trying to stop, helped them a lot.

It is possible the skates are 'too sharp', by which I mean the hollow is too deep. However, if she is young, she will be light, and that makes the skates dig in less. They could be sharpened incorrectly, but I'm not convinced that would prevent her doing a snow plough.

Dan256

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:29:56 pm »
Thanks, that makes sense. Especially about the not trying to stop first initially, I think that will help her.

Ill show her your reply aswell thankyou! Hopefully she will get it soon.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 05:40:43 pm »
Yes, Leif is absolutely correct about the "not trying to stop" part.  The whole point of the snowplough technique is to gently gather snow which slows the skater down, eventually to a stop.  Trying too hard results in juddering and/or falls.  Your daughter needs to start off with a half snowplough (one foot turned out) at first, and very lightly push snow away from her.  I remember learning this and thinking I'd never get the hang of the full snowplough.  I did...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy