Author Topic: Where to buy new figure skates  (Read 1402 times)

Stortford Skater

Where to buy new figure skates
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:40:27 pm »
I desperately need to buy my own figure skates and want a shop that knows what they’re talking about and can measure me properly etc.
I thought I found the perfect place in Chelmsford. I’ve been in got advice and measured etc. But now I’ve been waiting weeks for the Skates to arrive. I don’t live local to them so I phone regular and they very very rarely answer their phone and never respond to messages! It’s the worst customer service I think I’ve ever come across. They must lose so much business!
Anyway to get to the point, Are there any good shops around that know what they’re talking about and I can get measured for figure skates and offer genuinely good customer service? London, Herts, Beds, Cambridgeshire? / where do you buy your skates?
Thanks in advance for any replies
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:23:33 pm by The ice mouse »

The Sacred Voice

Re: Where to buy new figure skates
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:33:56 pm »
I'm not sure if you mean they're ordering something in for you to try (which is taking ages) or if you've already placed an order and paid. If you've paid then I imagine you should try and follow them up as best you can before committing to spending more money elsewhere (unless you know you can cancel and get your money back). What I'm about to suggest may seem a little dramatic, but if you've been unable to reach them and have tried on several occasions (plus you said you'd been waiting for weeks) then the next step is to send a letter to their business address explaining your dissatisfaction and waiting time and confirm that if it's not remedied within <choose a sensible timeframe> then you'll put in a small claims court application. Send it recorded delivery. This may sound dramatic but this kind of formality causes most business to INSTANTANEOUSLY cave so it'll get fixed without you even having to collect the small claims form. It may seem like a faff, but I guarantee it'll work.

To answer your question, the general advice is to see a private skate fitter who can assess your requirements and recommend something. It might be a little pricier of a service, but you don't generally want to make a mistake with skate buying and these people are experienced. The problem is finding one local to you... The general method is to ask around at your rink (other adults but also parents) and usually there's someone that everyone likes to use.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:37:54 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:46:27 am »
Over the years I have dealt with a few different shops and individuals and I can't say I have been overwhelmed by the overall level of service from anyone.  I think the wholesalers and manufacturers are generally a bit lackadaisical too.  It's a niche; somehow it doesn't seem to produce much in the way of the healthy competition you'd expect to drive up levels of service.  I'm resigned to it I'm afraid.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:01 am »
But now I’ve been waiting weeks for the Skates to arrive.

Have you entered into a contract? As in have you already paid for the skates? (Cash / DC / CC?)

Since you didn't get the skates when you went into the shop I'm guessing that they didn't have what you wanted in stock at the time? On their site; https://www.loveiceskating.co.uk/terms-conditions.htm it mentioned that items not in stock may take up to 30 days since probably originating from USA/Canada.

Have they ever responded to messages? As in do you know their messaging is working correctly? Have you tried contacting them via the social media links?

Since you went for a fitting I'm guessing that you know what boot you want, and what size too; it might be possible to order them online without going to a shop, though check their policies first.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Stortford Skater

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 11:07:54 am »
Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time write your responses much appreciated.
To make it clearer, thankfully I didn’t pay any money/deposit etc.
I went to the shop and he took measurements of both feet and discussed my needs etc. He was very helpful and clearly knows his stuff.
I believe it’s the Jackson Fusion Freestyle we settled on which are around £250 with blades.
He said he’ll get them in and I can try them on, he said if not by the end of the week then should be by the following week if they had to come from Canada. Nearly : weeks later and still nothing.
In all honesty I understand a longer wait if they’re coming from Canada but it’s more the fact I literally get no updates and they literally do no answer the phone, I’ve been trying daily throughout the day.
It’s terrible customer service and fills me with no confidence for using them in the future.
I would order online somewhere else but, I can’t exactly remember what size he concluded I needed and also worry having not tried them on. Thus I was asking for other shops.
I will definitely speak to the coaches at my rink for advice on skate fitting people.
I will keep you updated how I get on and anymore help or suggestions on places or people who do fittings much appreciated in the meantime.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:23:50 am »
Rod Turner sharpens at Chelmsford and carries Jacksons though I would imagine he'd need to order in as well, but might be better at giving you updates.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:54:37 pm »
Rod Turner sharpens at Chelmsford and carries Jacksons though I would imagine he'd need to order in as well, but might be better at giving you updates.

Rod Turner's customer service is exemplary, at least in my experience.

Another place you could try is Everglides in Gosport, Hampshire.  A bit of a trek, but people seem to like them. 

Your initial post seems to suggest that this is your first pair of skates, ie that you are a beginner?  Do you know why the fitter settled on that particular boot and blade? 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 10:39:38 am »
Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time write your responses much appreciated.
To make it clearer, thankfully I didn’t pay any money/deposit etc.
I went to the shop and he took measurements of both feet and discussed my needs etc. He was very helpful and clearly knows his stuff.
I believe it’s the Jackson Fusion Freestyle we settled on which are around £250 with blades.
He said he’ll get them in and I can try them on, he said if not by the end of the week then should be by the following week if they had to come from Canada. Nearly : weeks later and still nothing.
In all honesty I understand a longer wait if they’re coming from Canada but it’s more the fact I literally get no updates and they literally do no answer the phone, I’ve been trying daily throughout the day.
It’s terrible customer service and fills me with no confidence for using them in the future.
I would order online somewhere else but, I can’t exactly remember what size he concluded I needed and also worry having not tried them on. Thus I was asking for other shops.
I will definitely speak to the coaches at my rink for advice on skate fitting people.
I will keep you updated how I get on and anymore help or suggestions on places or people who do fittings much appreciated in the meantime.

Did you ever get your skates?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy