Author Topic: Broken leg whilst visiting a temporary ice rink  (Read 2229 times)

KarineT

Re: Broken leg whilst visiting a temporary ice rink
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 09:01:46 am »
Hi,

I could do a bone density test but from what I can understand from the orthopaedic surgeon, my leg twisted during the fall.  It's more likely the reason for the break.

Thanks

Karine

MarkD

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:24 pm »
I broke my leg (spiral fracture of tibia just above top of boot) just over four years ago. I was doing an outside three turn, and have no idea how it happened, other than hearing a crack and falling over. I can only think I must have caught the edge a lot.

This required surgery (nail through knee, bolted to upper and lower of tibia), plaster for 6 weeks and a bootie for a few more. I was actually back on ice, albeit very slowly, after four months, as my youngest, doing learn to skate, wanted me to watch her. I was moving around at a reasonable speed after 6. However, it then took a long time after that to get anything like the strength and feeling that was lost. I broke my landing leg, and it was 16 months before I could land a jump (just basic single) and not fall over most of the time, as the landing leg felt so wooden for so long.

Today I have surpassed where I was pre-accident in most regards, but have to "manage" the fatigue that for some reason builds up in the foot on the previously injured leg. The foot was uninjured, but anything strenuous, like running or skating leaves it aching. I also have a slight loss of feeling on the outside of my leg from the surgery, and find some things oddly challenging, like a back outside 3-turn, from a loss of feeling and subtle motion, and I have a lack of explosive power for jumping, etc - I feel I am likely to have to learn to do a loop jump on the wrong leg if I am ever going to do that, as I can still barely leave the ground with my right, even off-ice and after a lot of time spent in the gym, etc.

If you injured your leg in January this may be around the worst time from a feeling how am I ever going to get to back to where I was, as once any medical supports are taken away, it's only then that you realise what your leg really feels like, and how much weaker it feels compared to the uninjured one. It's the start of possibly the longest part of recovery, when it works as far as walking around goes, but reality kicks in when it comes to trying to do anything more strenuous. It will be a matter of time to recover, and usage in as many forms as possible is the way to the best recovery.

KarineT

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 04:08:49 pm »
To MarkD

Thanks for your response to my post.  That's almost impossible to believe.  Some of us are very unlucky indeed but not everyone heals the same.  I really want my leg to get back to the way it used to be pre-accident.  As for your leg, I don't understand why you're still having issues if it has healed.

Karine

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy