Author Topic: One foot glide question  (Read 971 times)

May

One foot glide question
« on: May 05, 2019, 05:07:56 pm »
Hi everyone!
Long story short, I'm an adult skater, I used to rollerblade for many years before, I was never the greatest but when transitioned to ice skating it definitely helped. I always had a stronger leg (which I'm sure is normal for everyone) I took the Skate U.K. lessons for a while (made it to level #4) just before starting to learn crossovers. That was a few years ago, I am back to the ice and wanted to start with crossovers but realised I should really work on the very basic skills, my right foot glide is very strong and can hold it for a long time, can even do a few power pulls, but my left one foot glide...oh boy! It's non existent! So I have tried to do forward and backward lemons and tried to really push that foot after some practise I can hold a probably 3 secs glide 😂😂😂😂 but I have noticed today that when I try to transfer my weigh on that foot it slips to the side, it's like I can't hold a flat blade on it, it doesn't only fall to an inside edge but the foot completely moves to the side (sorry for my explanation, not sure I'm getting the idea across) is there any exercises I can do to help, did you face this same struggle? Is there something wrong with my left leg?
Thank you so much for all your help and happy skating! ⛸⛸ O0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:31:41 pm by May »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: One foot glide question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
Sounds to me like there may new something wrong with your left blade, if it's just sliding.  Check for edges and sharpness.  How much skating have you done since your blades were last ground?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

May

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
Sounds to me like there may new something wrong with your left blade, if it's just sliding.  Check for edges and sharpness.  How much skating have you done since your blades were last ground?

Well, I have had the same issue since I first got my skates, they were last sharpened a while ago, maybe I should have them sharpened again and see if it makes a difference 🤔 having said that, the edges on my right foot feel ok, considering this is the side I use the most. How often should I be sharpening my blades? They are Jackson Ultima Mark IV and I skate around 6 hours a week (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more)

Leif

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 06:31:35 pm »
You might have poorly sharpened blades, in my experience many sharpeners are not competent, especially rink ones though some of those such as Gosport are good. I ended up buying a gauge, not cheap at ~£50+ so I could detect bad edges. Sometimes the grind is so poor you can see faults by eye.

It could also be where you hold your weight, maybe to one side, or your foot angle. Can you do lemons well with both blades cutting the ice?

May

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:51:21 pm »
You might have poorly sharpened blades, in my experience many sharpeners are not competent, especially rink ones though some of those such as Gosport are good. I ended up buying a gauge, not cheap at ~£50+ so I could detect bad edges. Sometimes the grind is so poor you can see faults by eye.

It could also be where you hold your weight, maybe to one side, or your foot angle. Can you do lemons well with both blades cutting the ice?

I confess I haven’t sharpened my skates in a while, will definitely look into have them sharpened soon, my left foot feels very wobbly when I do lemons, it takes me several attempts to get a former grip and stronger push on the left side.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy