Author Topic: London Marathon in skates.. wait, WHAT!?  (Read 1049 times)

black

• Skate free
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

spinZZ

Re: London Marathon in skates.. wait, WHAT!?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:36:15 pm »
It'll be interesting whether the blade guards can last for an entire marathon.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 09:56:34 am »
I can't quite get my head round this as being any kind of a good idea.  But then I can't see anything overly sensible about running marathons anyway so...

What I can see for this is nasty injuries and knackered equipment (not just blade guards).  Obviously I hope I'm wrong!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

spinZZ

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:30:55 am »
I can't quite get my head round this as being any kind of a good idea.  But then I can't see anything overly sensible about running marathons anyway so...

What I can see for this is nasty injuries and knackered equipment (not just blade guards).  Obviously I hope I'm wrong!
Many charity challenges and Guinness World Book record attempts are totally uncorrelated with good sense.  I would assume (or at least hope) she's running with old boots and blades, not the ones she's currently skating in.  But if the blade guards pop off or simply wear through, she's setting herself up for a nasty fall.  I hope she inserts the full complement of mounting screws and makes sure they're all securely tightened and anchored:  this is not a good time for a blade to come loose.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:34:54 am by spinZZ »

Leif

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 12:29:18 pm »

Exactly. An ice skate prevents the foot from acting as a shock absorber, meaning that the shock will travel up her leg to her knees and hips. And the thin blade increases the likelihood of falling, or twisting her ankle.

spinZZ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:43:49 pm »
Does anyone know whether Amy did in fact run the London Marathon in her figure skates?  Surprisingly, no update on her website or elsewhere according to a Google search.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:58:30 pm »
According to Facebook, she passed the 5km stage but I read later that she had to "retire for medical reasons".  What those are, she doesn't appear willing to disclose but she is intending to try again next year.  Apparently the skate guards held up very well...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy