Author Topic: Boot stiffness  (Read 1925 times)

Mindoro1972

Boot stiffness
« on: April 23, 2019, 12:45:08 pm »
Hello

Does anybody knows if the so called number of boot stiffness is based on the same scale for all skates ? I.E., would a 60 or a 90 be equal to all brands ? And what is the highest stiffness women boots could have ? Does the best world skater (freestyle) necessarily skate in the highest stiffness boots ?

many thanks

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Boot stiffness
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 02:52:03 pm »
I think the general idea is that they correspond but I'm sure different brands have their own niceties of scale.  A 45 stiffness is always going to be a lot different to a 90, whether in 2 different brands or not.

The "best" freestyle skater won't necessarily wear the stiffest boot.  It's very much "horses for courses" and depends upon weight, style of skating, age of skater (to a certain extent) and personal preference.  Some of those tiny girls you see doing triples may find a skating boot built for an adult woman to be too much, so they'll choose something lower down the scale, but will go for a high level blade.

And whilst many beginners worry about "overbooting", it's not quite so much of a problem in larger adults as in smaller or more timid ones.  It's important not to overboot children.

I don't know where the scale starts or finishes (it didn't exist when I was training and teaching) but what I do know is that some freeskaters doing double jumps won't require a top level boot whereas some ice dancers will break them down in a season.  As I said, horses for courses.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Mindoro1972

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 02:55:57 pm »
many thanks.
Its seems so weird. Wonder what is the point of giving out a 'number' then if does not correspond to a scale...
Anyways.
Thanks !

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:16:49 pm »
Its seems so weird. Wonder what is the point of giving out a 'number' then if does not correspond to a scale...

Another of life's little mysteries...  ::)

You can pretty much guarantee that the more expensive the boot, the more stiff it's likely to be.  Working out where it stands in relation to boots from another manufacturer, however, requires an honours degree in translating blurb, waffle, hyperbole and reading between the lines of the recommendations and opinions of other skaters.  Yeah.  Good luck with that.  ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Mindoro1972

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:34:53 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

I find it so confusing.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:39:44 pm »
;D ;D ;D

I find it so confusing.

Are you trying to work out the best boots for you?

Mindoro1972

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »
No.

I have a daughter who is 14 years old, up to triple loop. she skates about 15 hours/week. Always been in Risports skates. She tried one time with Edea a few years back, i think the Concerto and the skate damage the side of her chin, above ankle bone, extreme pain dragging above the top of the skate at the end. So we went back to Risport an no problem since....

Then this year, we had some issues with her new pair, the tongue was apparently knocking on her ankle bone and they modified it (cutting and extra padding).

Boot (Rf1 Elite) were bought beginning of February, she did not use them that much because of the tongue thing, she cut back a lot, but she already feels like the boot is to 'soft'... i.e. like support is no longer adequate... So I am trying to understand what is going on. I don't think you can get stiffer boots from Risport, and i was wondering how it works....

I will go back to the shop to get them evaluated, but I am a little bit confused/discourage... And now i am thinking maybe i should try the Edea again ....

I do not know. :-[ :-\
Sorry for the bad English, I speak french

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:18:09 pm »
Your English is better than my French.  8)

I remember seeing your post on the GS forum now.  I suspect custom boots may be the way to go.  There are other brands besides Edea and Risport.  I hope you find something to suit her, it must be very frustrating.

Mindoro1972

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 06:28:36 pm »
I am to the point of starting my own boot company.
 ;D ;D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:59 am »
I am to the point of starting my own boot company.
 ;D ;D

Fantastic!  Please make them prettier than Edea and those even more hideous new ones...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy