Author Topic: Skating Excellence Course - help with terminology!  (Read 1005 times)

physichull

Skating Excellence Course - help with terminology!
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:39:15 pm »
Heyup,

I'm enrolled in the Skating Excellence course at Planet Ice Widnes and have already done grades 1-2 and am booked in for grades 3-4 at the end of next month. Just going through their online syllabus and I'm really struggling to understand the terminology used to describe some of the drills. Things I'm having trouble with:

1/2 Star In A Circle - Outside edge (orange) ½ Star lift leg to return back to glide (neutral). clockwise & anticlockwise (L/R)

^ for the above, I have literally no idea what they mean when they put "orange" in brackets? I also have no idea what a star lift leg is!

Another example:

17 Lemon Pivots - Inside edge (green) forward Lemon pivot clockwise & anticlockwise (L/R)

Green??

[their website isn't the most helpful or descriptive so I guess I can just rely on the lessons, but I've no idea what they mean by green and orange!]

Has anyone got any useful links that better describe beginner skating drills at all? I know there is the Field Moves manual but a lot of that is fairly advanced stuff.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:41:31 pm by physichull »

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Skating Excellence Course - help with terminology!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
I think Green and Orange refer to edges or parts of the skate - they use colour coded boot covers.  I personally think it is insane and perverse to have invented a whole new terminology to replace established and commonly used terms in the world of skating and to replace left and right with colours.

Carrie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:31:41 am »
If you look at this website and go to About Us, it explains about the different colours on the boot covers and what they mean.  It does seem very complicated, especially reading about the different levels.   Planet Ice decided to use this method at their rinks instead of UK Skate.  Having to look down at the colours of your feet seems a bad idea! 

https://skateexcellence.com/about/

I re-learned to skate way back in 1999 before UK Skate was launched.  The rinks devised their own individual programmes at that time and it worked fine.  At Guildford UK Skate was used for children and then at the request of adults, they were taught the same way.  Some adults like ticking off the elements! 

A lot of countries have their own programmes but for those that don’t there is the Ice Skating Institute
http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?content=testing_requirements and from Pre-Alpha there are videos showing the individual elements.

The best coaching videos are Oleg the Dancer as Transmission of the Flame recommends.  He is doing Live Chats now, answering individual queries from skaters. 

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:40:00 am »
Thanks for the tip about Oleg's live chats.

I am not a great fan of Skate UK either - I think it is overcomplicated and should focus on a smaller number of basic skills - but it least the terminology is generally recognised.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:39:14 am »
I think Green and Orange refer to edges or parts of the skate - they use colour coded boot covers.  I personally think it is insane and perverse to have invented a whole new terminology to replace established and commonly used terms in the world of skating and to replace left and right with colours.

Hear, hear! I've looked at Skate Excellence's stuff before and it seems really bizarre to me.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy