Author Topic: Struggling with crossovers!  (Read 5242 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Struggling with crossovers!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 02:41:33 pm »
Holy technical figures, Batman!  :o  Even I'm not evil enough to suggest that!

Ah yes but they are worth the effort when you crack them, probably one of favourite things in skating alongside brackets, counters, grapevines and backward runs.

There's a kind of continuum between a straight line, a curved edge, a loop, a spin, a twizzle and a 3-turn and having that feeling and control of each part of that spectrum is very satisfying.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:12 pm »
There's a kind of continuum between a straight line, a curved edge, a loop, a spin, a twizzle and a 3-turn and having that feeling and control of each part of that spectrum is very satisfying.

That's absolutely true but...  Loops.  Ouch.

How do you feel about rockers?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 03:02:25 pm »
That's absolutely true but...  Loops.  Ouch.

How do you feel about rockers?

Rockers are OK but I somehow prefer counter-rotating.  But everything is skating is great, except for bunny hops.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:30 pm »
I find counters easier.  Well, in theory.  Some days my brain just starts to hurt at the mention of either of them...

Bunny hops are just stupid.  But better than "teapots".  Urgh.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 05:05:39 pm »
Teapots, yes indeed, kind of ugly.  A good parlour trick I suppose, and good as a test of strength, but not elegant.

I like a LFO to LBO rocker entry to a Lutz.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:32 pm »
I never tried that, back when I was doing That Sort Of Thing.  Wish I had now...  ::)

I did love that one in the Rocker Foxtrot.  Used to put it in my Artistic/Interpretive programmes, too.  Since coming back to skating, I'm a bit wussy about it, but I'll get it back properly.  I will...

Leif

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 07:24:35 am »
I'll hold my hands up as guilty trying to learn crossovers before being able to properly hold an outside edge. But I've definitely recognised I've tried to take a short cut - borne purely out of frustration at having to slow down on corners.

Outside edges are my current nemesis, as said by Leif its really hard to learn the balance as you don't use your inside leg to count balance but you use your outer leg instead. Its something seemingly so simple, but really hard to get to grips with!

I try to do those figure of 8s, inside edges really easy, outside edges are a wobbly mess and half the time I aren't even properly on the outside edge as I wobble out of it. Its tricky.

Just keep on trying and as TOTF says, one day it will crack. Sometimes there is a trick to it, sometimes it’s the scariness to overcome. With outside edges it’s partly fear, partly learning the body position. Clockwise transitions terrifed me so I took them slowly and did them often until the fear went away and I could then work on improving the technique. I won’t even attempt the loony moves done by figure skaters. That said, I tried 3 turns last night, rode a RFI edge, then rotated the foot CW, kinda worked albeit poorly, odd how with time you start to feel your edges.

spinZZ

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:53 pm »
I'll hold my hands up as guilty trying to learn crossovers before being able to properly hold an outside edge. But I've definitely recognised I've tried to take a short cut - borne purely out of frustration at having to slow down on corners.

Outside edges are my current nemesis, as said by Leif its really hard to learn the balance as you don't use your inside leg to count balance but you use your outer leg instead. Its something seemingly so simple, but really hard to get to grips with!

I try to do those figure of 8s, inside edges really easy, outside edges are a wobbly mess and half the time I aren't even properly on the outside edge as I wobble out of it. Its tricky.
(1) Edges (especially deep edges) are intrinsically easier to learn for inside rather than outside.  If you are leaning inside, and your edge starts to slip, you can simply place your free foot on the ice, and it will save you from a fall.  But, if you are leaning outside, and your edge starts to slip, you don't have that safety net ... you probably will fall. 

(2) If you continue to have problems with your outside edges, have a coach or skate tech check your feet and skates.  If you over-pronate, you will have great difficulty getting on to an outside edge unless you provide correction in your gear:  (a) a corrective footbed, (b) moving the blade to the inside, or (c) shimming the blade on the outside (in some cases, a combination of two or all three of the corrections is needed).

May

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »
Hey! I feel your pain, I’m suffering so much with crossovers at the moment as I have a very weak left leg, so I have decided to go back to the very basic lemons, try to bend the knees as much as possible and practicing slaloms.
Here’s some videos that are really good
 (It’s not letting me post the links)
But just go to YouTube and search for Oleg and ksenia forward crossovers
Or the thrive diaries crossovers (they are really helpful)

Hope it helps 😉😉⛸⛸

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 06:03:50 am »
That tightrope position is odd. I did Skate UK, but my private coach now teaches Skate Excellence and has been working on my forwards crossovers recently. The point of keeping your feet in that position, he says, is to set up to get a good underpush and build power.

Keep trying, but also let your group coach know you're struggling, they may be able to offer some more advice, as they can see what you're doing :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy