Author Topic: Learn to skate at 44  (Read 3449 times)

Anna-Marie

Re: Learn to skate at 44
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 11:05:49 pm »
Gosh, yes, hockey skates have very different blades from figure skates.  I was teaching a teenager last year who wore hockey skates for her first session with me but was struggling.  She bought a pair of figure skates and suddenly found her feet.  Hockey skates are thinner, with no heel or toe picks.  I can't for the life of me work out how anybody skates on them.  There are skaters on here who love them but...  Figure skates are undoubtedly easier.  Buy yourself some Graf Bolero or 500s and join a Learn to Skate class.  You'll soon let go of the side.

Here hoping I can. Thanks for the info on the skates.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 11:16:50 pm »
Some rinks have enough traffic through them to offer adult group lessons, so you might be in with adults, but don't worry about the five year olds if you are with them, everyone learns at their own pace.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:51 am »
I started when I was over 40 and more than a decade later I am still enjoying it (actually more than ever) and improving.  I find it weird to think there are people who don't have something this in their lives.

Leif

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 07:19:08 am »
Do you think it will be possible for me to learn to skate at the age of 44? I can’t skat at all at the moment.

No, you are far too young, best wait till you are fifty.

Honestly you can learn at any age. Although I learnt very basic skating 30 years ago, I started learning properly at age 53, and nearly three years later I can out skate many youngsters. More importantly, it’s amazing fun.

Leif

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 07:25:01 am »
I went a few weeks ago could stand up but didn't want to let go of the side!! I also had hockey skates on which I feel have different blades from figure skates. Would I be correct in saying this. I think I would get on better with figure skates.

They are different. Many hockey skaters will say it is best to start with figure skates, and learn proper technique. If money is not an issue, individual coaching is worthwhile, but maybe start out with group courses until you learn the basics. You don’t hire a formula 1 driver to get you through the driving test.

Choice of skate really depends what you want to do. If dance and/or jumps and spins are your thing, go figures. If hockey or freestyle appeal more, go hockeys.

And I recommend you wear protection. I wear knee and elbow pads and padded shorts, beneath my clothes, and invisible to others. G-form are cheapish and okay.

spinZZ

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 11:29:05 am »
Choice of skate really depends what you want to do. If dance and/or jumps and spins are your thing, go figures. If hockey or freestyle appeal more, go hockeys.
<<Emphasis added>>  I'm assuming you're using "freestyle" here in a different context from the usual context in figure skating.  Just so the OP doesn't get confused:  "Freestyle" in figure skating pretty much refers to elements involving jumps and spins [in contrast to what used to be called "patch", involving technical figures only, no jumps and spins].  If you want to pursue freestyle in the figure skating context (jump and spin), you definitely need figure skates.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:32:38 am by spinZZ »

Leif

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 01:06:26 pm »
<<Emphasis added>>  I'm assuming you're using "freestyle" here in a different context from the usual context in figure skating.  Just so the OP doesn't get confused:  "Freestyle" in figure skating pretty much refers to elements involving jumps and spins [in contrast to what used to be called "patch", involving technical figures only, no jumps and spins].  If you want to pursue freestyle in the figure skating context (jump and spin), you definitely need figure skates.

I know nothing about figure skating freestyle. Among my ice skating friends freestyle refers to the performing of tricks while wearing hockey skates. Thus the drunken man and grapevine are freestyle tricks, as are the penguin and eagle stops. I would have included what you describe under 'jumps and spins' hence figure skating. I guess we'll have to refer to freestyle figure skating and freestyle hockey skating in future.

Jo

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
I just started learning to skate a couple of months ago at the age of forty(ahem cough six cough) and got some used Graf Davos figure skates from eBay. It’s been brilliant so far and I love it. The difference between learning in house boots and my own proper boots has been huge. Hope you’re loving it too.

MarkD

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:26 am »
Started at 41 nine years ago, and did my first competition last year. I think group lessons are the best way to start. You'll have others in the same boat to commiserate and compare notes with when things feel too tricky. If you're not fortunate enough to have adult-only classes, there's often adults mixed in with the youngsters in regular classes, as parents often give it a try with their children.

Don't be put off by youngsters progress. They often gravitate towards impressive looking things and neglect basics. I see youngsters on patch do a sit-spin, and then struggle with a basic snow plough stop.

Kateskater123

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 07:26:25 pm »
If you think figure skating is going to be for you then definitely get some beginner ice skates, like Graf Bolero.  Don't be tempted to buy high end expensive skates to start with its completely the wrong thing to do as many learn to their cost.
hockey skates are fine to skate on if you start and continue with them, ditto with figure skates.  Its switching over which is a nightmare.  I tried hockey skates once (was a reasonably confident skater on figures) and it felt like I was on a rocking horse with no stability back or front.  A hockey skater I'm sure would spend the whole lesson falling over a toe pick.

I learned to skate at 40 and was fairly proficient, then gave it up for 20 years, now skating again and it feels horribly unsafe.  I can't ever see me getting the confidence I had, but every week is better and I haven't been back doing it for very long.   

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 08:04:53 pm »
I don't know how much confidence you had when you were younger, but you have to believe you will get some or all of it back, and maybe more.  I had none to get back, and I am relaxed on the ice now.  Just skate a lot, and enjoy it.  Confidence comes in great part from your body and brain knowing you are doing something safe, and that comes with practice, correct technique, and familiarity.

I switch from figures on ice to inline skates with a banana rocker like a hockey skate.  I'm no John Curry.  You get used to switching, took me a couple of months of doing both every day/every other day.

I'm honestly pretty hopeless at stuff like this, it has been hard work and patience.  If I can, anyone can.

Enjoy!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy