Author Topic: Learn to skate at 44  (Read 3451 times)

Anna-Marie

Learn to skate at 44
« on: April 01, 2019, 09:28:51 pm »
Do you think it will be possible for me to learn to skate at the age of 44? I can’t skat at all at the moment.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: Learn to skate at 44
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:34 pm »
Do you think it will be possible for me to learn to skate at the age of 44? I can’t skat at all at the moment.

Absolutely.  Ideal age to start.  Old enough to know you want to do it for your own enjoyment and no pushy parents mutter about Olympic medals.

Have you skated at all yet? 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Anna-Marie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:01:46 pm »
I went a few weeks ago could stand up but didn't want to let go of the side!! I also had hockey skates on which I feel have different blades from figure skates. Would I be correct in saying this. I think I would get on better with figure skates.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:03:35 pm »
I went a few weeks ago could stand up but didn't want to let go of the side!! I also had hockey skates on which I feel have different blades from figure skates. Would I be correct in saying this. I think I would get on better with figure skates.

I started skating 10 years ago at 42 and I am still going. Which rink are you skating at?

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:02 pm »
If your rink offers group lessons at a time that works for you then then I'd say they're typically very good value for money for beginners and I'd recommend them as a way of trying it out without sinking a lot of money in.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Anna-Marie

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:07:16 pm »

I started skating 10 years ago at 42 and I am still going. Which rink are you skating at?

Its Kirkcaldy Ice Rink.

Anna-Marie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 10:08:19 pm »
If your rink offers group lessons at a time that works for you then then I'd say they're typically very good value for money for beginners and I'd recommend them as a way of trying it out without sinking a lot of money in.

Yes this is what I am going to do its £6. I hope its not all 5 year olds there with me tho lol

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:08:56 pm »

Anna-Marie - the Sacred Voice has good advice, by doing a few group lessons. It is a good way to assess which coach might be right for you if you decide to have private lessons. Enjoy your skating

Kirkcaldy is one rink I have yet to skate at (even though I an originally from Burntisland - and get back there a few times a year)

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »
I started as I was turning 40, they’re are tons of adult beginners, go for it! I’ve made some good friends from group lessons too so it’s nice to have a chat and giggle as we learn.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:45 pm »

Gosh, yes, hockey skates have very different blades from figure skates.  I was teaching a teenager last year who wore hockey skates for her first session with me but was struggling.  She bought a pair of figure skates and suddenly found her feet.  Hockey skates are thinner, with no heel or toe picks.  I can't for the life of me work out how anybody skates on them.  There are skaters on here who love them but...  Figure skates are undoubtedly easier.  Buy yourself some Graf Bolero or 500s and join a Learn to Skate class.  You'll soon let go of the side.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Anna-Marie

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 11:04:54 pm »
I started as I was turning 40, they’re are tons of adult beginners, go for it! I’ve made some good friends from group lessons too so it’s nice to have a chat and giggle as we learn.

That’s good to know thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy