Author Topic: Pronation. How to correct ankles turning in?  (Read 1180 times)

Kateskater123

Pronation. How to correct ankles turning in?
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:25:23 am »
My ankles have always been weak and I have quite flat arches where my feet roll in.  This means I am skating on an inside edge more than I should.  I have bought expensive rigid arch support orthotics but this hasn’t made my feet (especially right foot) any straighter.  I have Graf Bolero boots which are new and quite comfortable and good to skate in.  Previously I had Edea Chorus which were far to stiff in the ankle and were incredibly painful to wear, as well as being way above my level of skating (competent beginner).

The Graf Bolero has a riveted blade so moving them isn’t an option.  Is there anything else I can do? 

spinZZ

Re: Pronation. How to correct ankles turning in?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:38 am »
My ankles have always been weak and I have quite flat arches where my feet roll in.  This means I am skating on an inside edge more than I should.  I have bought expensive rigid arch support orthotics but this hasn’t made my feet (especially right foot) any straighter.  I have Graf Bolero boots which are new and quite comfortable and good to skate in.  Previously I had Edea Chorus which were far to stiff in the ankle and were incredibly painful to wear, as well as being way above my level of skating (competent beginner).

The Graf Bolero has a riveted blade so moving them isn’t an option.  Is there anything else I can do?
You'll need to buy a boot and a blade attached with screws (either a pre-packaged kit or separate boots and blades).  To correct for pronation, you have three options (separately or in combination):  (a) corrective footbeds or orthotics inside the boots, (b) move the blades towards the inside of the boot, and (c) shim the blades to raise the outside edge.  Since you've tried (a), and it hasn't worked, you'll need to try (b) or (c).  I pronate strongly, and I need all three options together.

[Technically, it is possible to remove rivets, insert shims, and reinsert rivets.  More commonly done with some models of hockey skates.  But likely not cost effective for low-end figure skate kits.  You're better off buying new boots and blades.]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:45:20 am by spinZZ »

Kateskater123

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
I had a feeling that would be the way to go  :-[.          I’ve only just bought these boots so I’ll try to persevere a little longer or ask at the hockey shop re the rivets, as they are Graf boots.   Maybe try a second insole on the right side to build it up further, though I think it’s a bit of a non starter. 

spinZZ

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 05:25:45 pm »
  Maybe try a second insole on the right side to build it up further, though I think it’s a bit of a non starter.
If you go want to try modifying the fit of your orthotic, don't put in a full insole under the orthotic:  that will simply raise the entire orthotic up.  What you want to do is tilt it more:  raise just the side along the inside of the boot.  Tape a strip of foam (~ 2 cm wide), on the bottom of the orthotic along the inside edge.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy