Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 965 times)

vpug

Hi All
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:52:00 pm »
Hi All

We are new to all this myself and wife have started skating and loving it, as a kid
I did go skating, well playing several times a week but never had any lessons just wanted
to go fast.
 Now 40 some years on I would like to learn how to skate and so would the wife only been a hand
full of times up to now just finding our feet got skates and thinking about lessons and think it would be nice if we can find someone to give us one to one/two lessons.
 we have been going to Altrincham and see adverts for group lesson but not yet asked about
 individual lesson ( would anyone know what sort of money lessons are).

Also we will be needing to get are skates sharpened and have sent a message to SK8Mum no answer as yet, would any one have a email address or phone number for her.

Thanks vpug

physichull

Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:31 pm »
I've got some very recent experience with Planet Ice. I've been to Altrincham recently, a decent enough rink, if a little shabby in parts, but I go to Planet Ice in Widnes for lessons.

I have an Ice Card, so I get a little discount (worth getting an ice card if you go regularly). With that I've book a block of 4 lessons for £41, half hour each. They are group lessons but my group was about a max of 10 people. Lessons are well taught. I don't know how good a skater you are, but you may get stuck on the simple Level 1 stuff if you can't stop, so lessons are kind of a waste of money until you learn how to stop (my current predicament). Coaches are friendly and helpful.

I do have my gripes about Planet Ice though. They charge £2.20 for spectators which is a total joke. Even more laughable is that if you have you own skates they knock £2.20 off, but then you need to use a locker to store your shoes which is like £1, which you don't get back! They literally look for money  from you  wherever it can be found.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:46:08 pm by physichull »

Leif

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:08:14 am »
I do have my gripes about Planet Ice though. They charge £2.20 for spectators which is a total joke. Even more laughable is that if you have you own skates they knock £2.20 off, but then you need to use a locker to store your shoes which is like £1, which you don't get back! They literally look for money  from you  wherever it can be found.

Welcome to Planet Ice. I go to Basingstoke, and your last sentence sums them up. You forgot to mention that they charge an extra £1-2 unless you have an 'Ice Card', that costs £8, and which is just a way to extract more money from non regular skaters.

Guildford rink is ~£6 entrance plus 20 pence for a locker. And it's in much better condition. It's much busier too.

physichull

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:48:31 am »
When I go for my lessons, its not heaving busy so I usually leave my shoes somewhere amongst the stands on the far side where nobody goes just to save myself a quid each time. It all adds up.

Greycut

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:23:29 pm »
Vpug,

I'm not sure if sk8mum frequents the forum any more.  I can text her if you wish and let her know

The group lessons are good to meet other beginner skaters, but you can't beat having private lessons if you want to improve.  Lessons cost between £10 to £12.50 per 15 minutes dependent on the coach.  The group lessons are good value but are very busy recently due to the 'dancing on ice' effect.

I can give you some coach recommendations if you want by private message.

vpug

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:20:54 am »
Hi

Thanks for the replies , I now have SK8Mum's  contact details and have made arrangement to
have my blades sharpened.
 Greycut I will PM you ref coach recommendation as it is something we would like to do, getting pointers on what we should be practicing.

Thanks vpug

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy