Author Topic: Are Zuca bags too "young" for an adult skater?  (Read 1674 times)

Annoushkadomynique

Are Zuca bags too "young" for an adult skater?
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:18 pm »
Hi All

I'm currently looking for a roll along skating bag as my transpack backpack is giving me the worst backache hauling it too and from the rink.

I've looked into normal cabin sized suitcases, edea/risport/jackson rolling cases and also Zuca. I'm leaning more towards a Zuca bag as I like the design of them but worry that I'll stand out as too old for it.

Whats bags do you recommend or do you have a Zuca?

The Sacred Voice

Re: Are Zuca bags too "young" for an adult skater?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 03:14:10 pm »
Firstly, as an adult, I take the view that if you want it, you get it, it's your life after all. My only caution would be is that you check the dimensions of the one you buy before you get it. Make sure your adult-sized skates will fit inside them, because I've heard that many Zucas don't support adult-sized skates, although that might be just because adults are buying the wrong model or something? I don't know much about them other than I've heard that.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Annoushkadomynique

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »
I guess I'm lucky in the sense that my feet are small enough to be in junior sizes so I don't think skates fitting will be an issue! Perhaps I need to drill that view into my mind. Sometimes I forget that I earned this money and can buy what I want. 

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 04:24:49 pm »
Why should kids have all the fun?  I know an adult skater who has a Zuca and loves it.  Personally, I think they look a bit like commodes when they have that cushion on the top but that could just be my warped mind!  I like backpacks and the roll-along case idea, too, but having spent so many years in my teens and twenties hauling around a massive sports bag - separate boots and blades for figures and free, anybody? - these days I just rock up to the rink with my skates in my handbag...  ;D

But you absolutely nailed it when you said that you earned the money and it's absolutely up to you how you spend it.  You want a Zuca?  You have a Zuca.  And don't let anyone spoil your enjoyment of it.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:44:14 pm »

I know a senior lady at our rink who has a Zuca and loves it

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Annoushkadomynique

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:35:34 am »
Why should kids have all the fun?  I know an adult skater who has a Zuca and loves it.  Personally, I think they look a bit like commodes when they have that cushion on the top but that could just be my warped mind!  I like backpacks and the roll-along case idea, too, but having spent so many years in my teens and twenties hauling around a massive sports bag - separate boots and blades for figures and free, anybody? - these days I just rock up to the rink with my skates in my handbag...  ;D

But you absolutely nailed it when you said that you earned the money and it's absolutely up to you how you spend it.  You want a Zuca?  You have a Zuca.  And don't let anyone spoil your enjoyment of it.

I cant get past the image of it looking like a commode now  ??? In your handbag? Wow... I admire you're ability to not carry too much with you. My current skating bag is filled with so much junk and I don't even use half of it.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:06:21 am »
I cant get past the image of it looking like a commode now  ???

Ah.  Sorry about that...  :-[

In your handbag? Wow... I admire you're ability to not carry too much with you. My current skating bag is filled with so much junk and I don't even use half of it.

Put it this way, it's quite a capacious handbag!  With vast amounts of random junk lurking in the recesses.  But when it comes to skating stuff, I pack my socks, legwarmers and chiffon wrap skirt in my boots, lose my lace hook (which I haven't used in a year but I take anyway), guards, screwdriver, drying cloth and spare laces in a pocket of the bag and I'm ready to go.  I tend to wear my leggings to the rink with a skirt over the top and just swap skirts before I get on the ice.   And if truth be told, I've been starting to worry about the weight of the boots, etc, not doing the handbag much good, so last week I bought a "sports bag" in Lidl that is now housing my gear.  It's strong but lightweight, plenty big enough and cost less than seven quid.  I'm happy.  And that's what it's all about as an adult!  We get to buy/wear/use whatever the heck we like.  Winning at life.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

spinZZ

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 12:36:32 pm »
I know at least 6 adults, including 2 coaches in their 50's, who use Zucas.  If they suit your needs, then go for it.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:50 pm »
I'm 29 and have one :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Annoushkadomynique

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:29:06 pm »
I'm 29 and have one :)

Which one have you got? I'm currently agonising over which insert I want. I really like the galaxy one on a black frame :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy