Author Topic: Skate Sharpening London/Essex/Herts  (Read 1518 times)

Stortford Skater

Skate Sharpening London/Essex/Herts
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:26:02 am »
I recently got my figure skates sharpened at a shop in North London.
I don’t think he did a good job at all, didn’t even ask me what depth etc I needed.
I’m new to all this so I really need to find somewhere that will be a lot more helpful in getting the most suitable sharpening for my needs and will do a good job.
Any suggestions around London or Essex would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Leif

Re: Skate Sharpening London/Essex/Herts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 11:09:37 am »
You might want to think about getting yourself an edge gauge, sometimes called a skate edge checker, or a BAT (Blade Angle Tester) gauge. It will allow you to check if your newly sharpened edges are level. I know one sharpener who does a good job for one person, but an atrocious job for others. Do you know what hollow you use?

Oddly enough even some really good skaters don't care about the hollow. A friend who played pro level hockey has no idea of his hollow, he just asks the shop to put an edge on his blades!  :o

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
While the rink was still open, Rod Turner was sharpening at Chelmsford.  I imagine he'll go back there when it re-opens.  He tends to visit every 6 weeks or so.  My family and I have been using him for years and never had a problem.  He's at MK too.  You can call him to get put on the mailing list.  If you work down in London he also visits Streatham.  A Google search should find you the website with contact details.

Stortford Skater

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:18:03 pm »
Thankyou Leif, I will definitely get me an edge gauge and perhaps not worry too much about the hollow for now.
Transmissionoftheflame thanks I will definitely look to get on Rods mailing list and get them done at Chelmsford if he goes there again.
Thanks both for your help.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy